Any motion that’s accomplished through the follow of Kundalini Yoga will be known as kriya.
Kundalini kriyas contain respiratory methods, chants, and bodily motion that may assist in awakening the kundalini shakti from its dormant state.
In Kundalini Yoga, which was launched to the West by Yogi Bhajan within the 70s, the kriyas have particular directions and are practised to attain a particular consequence.
When practised diligently, kundalini kriyas unblock and activate the chakras which, subtly or immediately, change the physique and thoughts of the practitioner. In addition they goal organs such because the liver, backbone, abdomen, intestines, eyes, and so on.
These kriyas are practised in the identical manner as Yogi Bhajan had taught by the Kundalini academics. At first of the Kundalini Yoga class, a gap mantra is chanted, adopted by a warm-up, performing a kriya and shutting with a meditation.
Chances are you’ll typically see kundalini yoga practitioners sporting white garments with a white turban. However it isn’t obligatory to put on white. It’s steered as a result of white is assumed to beat back or block unfavorable power and strengthen your aura.
White can also be a logo of peace, therefore it could assist in selling a peaceable thoughts when practising the kriyas.
By practising kundalini yoga kriyas, one can awaken the dormant kundalini power that lies on the base of the backbone in root chakra. In its woke up state, the power travels by means of the backbone to the crown of the top, activating the seven chakras.
This helps in enhancing self-awareness and inspiring the free move of prana power as effectively.
Within the following part, we’ve talked about 10 widespread kriyas which are typically carried out by practitioners. You will need to focus in your breath, gaze and sounds you make through the kriya as they assist in unblocking energies and growing focus.
1. Breath of Fireplace
The breath of fireplace kinds a necessary and vital a part of the kundalini yoga kriya.
This kriya is a respiratory method that generates inside warmth which helps in cleansing and energizing your thoughts and physique. For the breath of fireplace, it’s worthwhile to inhale passively and exhale forcefully with none pauses. The tempo and size of the respiratory needs to be equal.
Breath of fireplace kriya works on stimulating the Photo voltaic Plexus chakra which is the seat of willpower, willpower, and inside energy.
Comply with the steps beneath to carry out Breath of fireplace kriya;
- Sit in a cross-legged yoga pose, prefeabbly; lotus pose or simple pose or thunderbolt pose. Sit tall together with your again upright.
- Place your palms on the knees, both in Gyan Mudra or just palms opens dealing with upwards.
- Interact your stomach and inhale by means of your nostril. It’s best to really feel your stomach and diaphragm increasing.
- With none pause, exhale forcefully. Your stomach and diaphragm ought to snap again into the backbone.
- Be certain the size of inhaling and exhaling are equal. Set up a rhythm and repeat the method for at the very least 30 seconds.
- Progressively enhance the time restrict to 5-10 minutes.
After you have completed practising BOF, come again to secure respiratory.
This respiratory kriya is mostly carried out at the start of the kundalini yoga class to heat up internally.
2. Sat Kriya
The Sat Kriya is without doubt one of the basic kriyas of kundalini yoga. As per Yogi Bhajan, practising Sat Kriya for 3 minutes every single day provides you with the advantage of a complete yoga class.
The kriya has been named Sat Kriya as on this kriya you chant Sat Nam in sync with the breath motion. Sat (pronounced as sut as in “minimize”) stands for reality/trustworthy/proper and Nam (pronounced as naam as in “calm”) means title. Chanting Sat Nam means you might be invoking the divine and coming to phrases with the reality inside your self.
Sat kriya works immediately on awakening the kundalini shakti. It gently massages the inner organs and regulates blood stress thereby strengthening the center. It fosters the awakening of sexual power and in addition promotes deep rest.
The three decrease chakras, Root, Photo voltaic Plexus, and Sacral Chakras are stimulated concurrently which assist in calming the thoughts and enhancing focus.
Comply with the steps beneath to carry out Sat kriya.
- Sit in a Vajrasana or Rock Pose. Your again needs to be straight, knees collectively and the highest of your toes needs to be on the bottom.
- Stretch each your fingers overhead and be part of your palms. Your higher arms needs to be touching your ears and your elbows mustn’t bend.
- Interlock all of your finger besides the index fingers of each fingers. Ideally, females ought to cross the left thumb over the suitable and males ought to cross the suitable thumb over the left. This hand place known as kali mudra.
- Begin chanting Sat Nam in a relentless rhythmic method 8 occasions in 10 seconds.
- On inhalation, pull your navel in and up in the direction of the backbone, chant Sat. Whereas exhaling, chant Nam and chill out the stomach.
- You don’t want to have interaction any locks or bandhas as root and the diaphragm locks are routinely engaged while you breath. All through the method of chanting, your backbone stays straight.
- Focus your gaze on the center of the brows together with your eyes closed.
In case you are a newbie, do sat kriya for at the very least 3 minutes. Progressively enhance the time to 31 minutes.
On the finish of three minutes, inhale deeply and squeeze the muscle tissue from the buttocks previous the shoulder blades. Maintain your breath for a number of seconds whereas specializing in the Crown Chakra after which exhale fully.
As quickly as you finish the Sat Kriya, you must observe it up with an extended deep rest. The standard time for rest is twice the size of time the kriya was practiced. This rest time is a should as it would give time on your physique to assimilate with itself.
Notice: Sat kriya of kundalini yoga shouldn’t be misunderstood with Shat kriyas of Hatha Yoga. In kundalini yoga, sat kriya is a chant synch with respiratory motion whereas in hatha yoga shat kriya (shat means 6) known as to the gathering of 6 yogic kriyas used for inner physique cleaning.
3. Ego Eradicator
Because the title reveals, Ego Eradicator kundalini kriya is practised to convey that openness within the coronary heart which removes the sense of I-ness and calms the thoughts.
Ego Eradicator kriya is carried out by opening the arms up & sideways. Then with this arms place Breath of Fireplace is carried out. This can be a very fashionable kriya amongst kundalini yoga practitioners.
Training the ego eradicator will open your coronary heart and steadiness the 2 hemispheres of the mind. It’ll cleanse and strengthen the lungs and enhance spinal energy as effectively.
Furthermore, this kriya may also steadiness your chakras, making certain a smoother move of prana power. This can promote psychological readability, consciousness, alertness, and quietness.
Comply with the steps beneath to do that kriya.
- Sit in an Simple Pose (Sukhasana).
- Stretch your arms overhead at an angle of 60-degrees. Curl your fingers in order that the fingertips contact the bottom of the fingers. Hold the thumb prolonged and pointed in the direction of the sky.
- Shut your eyes and concentrate on the Third Eye Chakra.
- Start Breath of Fireplace and proceed for 1-3 minutes.
- On the finish of the kriya, be part of the thumbs on the tips about an inhale and apply the basis lock on exhale. Take one other inhale and chill out your physique on exhale.
4. Spinal Stretch
This kriya is just like the Cat-Cow pose in Hatha Yoga. The one distinction is that you’ll be practising the spinal stretch in a seated place. By way of the spinal flex kriya, you’ll be able to cut back the tightness and stiffness within the backbone.
Doing spinal stretch will be sure that, bodily, there’s an uninterrupted move of the spinal fluid from the mind to the backbone. Spiritually, all of the chakras will likely be stimulated and promote a free move of prana.
- Sit in an Simple Pose (Sukhasana) with eyes closed.
- Maintain each your shins or knees.
- Inhale and flex your backbone ahead and open your chest. Exhale and flex the backbone backward.
- At any time, the shoulders mustn’t contact your ears and be relaxed. Additionally, concentrate on preserving your head straight.
Repeat the train for 3 minutes.
5. Spinal Twist
The spinal twist train successfully loosens your backbone, particularly decrease and mid-spine. It releases any stiffness or stress within the backbone and again muscle tissue, strengthens the lungs and cleanses your aura.
- Sit in an Simple Pose (Sukhasana).
- Place your fingers in your shoulder, fingers within the entrance and thumb on the again. Your higher arms needs to be parallel to the bottom and elbows needs to be consistent with the shoulders.
- Twist to the suitable as you inhale after which on the left as you exhale. Whereas twisting, your head and backbone will stay straight. Chant Sat on inhale and Nam on exhale.
- Don’t be stiff. Permit your again and head to simply twist with the move.
Repeat the train for 1-3 minutes.
6. Stretch Pose
The stretch pose is a difficult and superior train that usually causes issues to the practitioners. However if you’re conscious of your breath and concentrate on drawing your energy from the navel heart, it is possible for you to to simply conquer this pose.
This pose works on the complete physique. It resets the nervous system, strengthens the belly organs, purifies and rejuvenates the blood. The stretch pose additionally focuses on the third eye chakra which calms your thoughts and enhances your shallowness.
Ladies can particularly profit from this pose because it strengthens the reproductive organs.
In case you are a newbie, don’t power your physique to carry the pose for 3 minutes. For those who can not maintain the pose for greater than 10 seconds, it’s high quality to let go of the place and chill out for a number of seconds. Begin once more after enjoyable. You’ll be able to step by step enhance the time whereas alternating between holding the pose and enjoyable for a number of seconds.
- Lie down in your again.
- Lengthen the again of your neck and raise your head and higher chest collectively. Draw your chin in to maintain the top straight and lengthened.
- Elevate your decrease leg, preserving the decrease again on the bottom, roughly 6 inches from the bottom. Repair your gaze within the ideas of your toes.
- Hold your hand stretched out in entrance of you with palms down however not touching your physique. It’s also possible to place them beside you, with palms dealing with inwards and never touching the bottom or your physique.
- For those who really feel any discomfort in your decrease again, place your fingers underneath your buttocks for assist or frivolously relaxation the heel on the bottom.
- Apply Breath of Fireplace on this pose.
7. Entrance Life Nerve Stretch
The life nerve stretch of Kundalini Yoga is identical as seated ahead bend (Paschimottanasana) in Hatha Yoga. this train will strengthen your legs, pelvis, and legs together with stimulation of the sciatic nerves. The ahead fold encourages lengthening and strengthening of the backbone.
- Sit together with your legs stretched out in entrance of you.
- Seize your large toes together with your finger. Wrap the index and center finger across the toe and press the toenail with the pads of your thumb.
- With an elongated backbone, have interaction your navel and bend ahead whereas exhaling. On the subsequent inhale, push up with the energy of your legs and the navel. In each circumstances, the top follows final.
- Proceed this train for 1-3 minutes whereas respiratory deeply.
8. Cobra Pose
The follow of this pose is just like Hatha yoga however the intention to carry out is barely totally different. In Kundalini Yoga, the cobra pose is practised to steadiness the apana. It additionally will increase the prana power move in order that the power circulates in the direction of the upper centres.
By specializing in the Apana, it additionally stimulates and balances sexual power.
- Lie down in your abdomen and place your forearms beside your ribs. Hold your legs joined collectively.
- Carry your fingers beneath your shoulders and unfold your fingers to create a agency assist and unfold the burden evenly.
- Inhale and raise your head, chest and backbone upwards whereas preserving your pelvis and legs on the mat. Hold your shoulder away out of your ears and shoulders blades pressed in the direction of the again.
- Keep on this pose for 1-3 minutes whereas working towards Breath of Fireplace.
- On the subsequent inhale, stretch your backbone to the utmost. Maintain your breath within the subsequent exhale and apply the basis lock. Inhale and exhale whereas slowly coming all the way down to lie down on the mat fully.
9. Archer Pose
Bodily talking, the archer pose will strengthen your quads, legs, knees, shoulders, and arms. Internally, it would stimulate the third eye chakra and promote emotions of fearlessness, willpower, and willpower.
- Begin by standing within the Tadasana (Mountain Pose).
- Step your left foot to the again by approx. 3 toes. Place your left heel on the ground and switch the toes to a 45-degree angle. Your left leg needs to be straight.
- Bend the suitable knee in order that your thighs are parallel to the ground and your knee is consistent with the ankle. Be certain your proper foot heel is consistent with the arch of the left foot.
- Curl the fingers of each fingers into your palm besides the thumb. Put your arms in entrance of your with this hand formation.
- Pull your left hand again in order that the fist is close to the left shoulder as in the event you had been pulling the arrow from the bow. Your proper arm needs to be parallel to the bottom and each the shoulders needs to be in line.
- Focus your gaze on the tip of your right-hand thumb.
Apply this pose for 3 minutes on every leg.
10. Deep Rest
Similar to how we finish a hatha yoga session with Savasana (Corpse Pose), the deep rest strategy of Kundalini Yoga is comparable. The intention of practising it is usually comparable, to let the physique really feel and benefit from the modifications caused by means of the kriyas. You’ll be able to bask within the rejuvenating energies of your aura and let your physique chill out.
You simply must lie down in your again together with your arms by your aspect, palms up. Shut your eyes and chill out for so long as 11-Quarter-hour.
The above are just a few kriyas among the many a number of kundalini yoga kriyas taught by Yogi Bhajan. By stimulating and activating the chakra and prana power flows, you might be permitting the Kundalini power to align and transfer upwards.
Combining breath, gaze, and sound, you might be additionally activating the third eye and crown chakra to hook up with the divine consciousness, which is the final word aim of any yoga type.