This acorn squash soup recipe comes collectively in three straightforward steps: roast, simmer, and mix. It is creamy, cozy, and flavorful–perfect for a chilly evening.
I’ve had a stash of this acorn squash soup in my freezer for the final couple of weeks, prepared and ready for the kind of chilly fall day that necessitates creamy orange soup. Properly, final weekend, that day lastly got here. Saturday arrived, chilly and crisp, and I knew that this acorn squash soup would hit the spot. I heated up a bowl for lunch, and I loved it a lot that I polished off the remaining on Sunday. This weekend, I’m undoubtedly making extra.
This acorn squash soup is sublimely creamy (however not from cream!), and it’s deliciously seasoned with woodsy thyme, warming nutmeg, and cayenne for kick. For those who’re attempting to remain cozy in chilly climate, I can’t suggest it sufficient.
Acorn Squash Soup Recipe Substances
Right here’s what you’ll must make this acorn squash soup recipe:
- Acorn squash, in fact! You’ll want 2 medium ones to make this recipe. No acorn squash readily available? Butternut, kabocha, kuri, or buttercup squash would all be nice right here too.
- Onion and garlic – You’ll sauté the onion and roast the garlic to create the soup’s flavorful base.
- Carrots – They add sweetness and assist excellent the soup’s easy and creamy texture.
- Further-virgin olive oil – For richness.
- Vegetable inventory – Use store-bought, or make your personal.
- Recent thyme – Considered one of my favourite fall herbs! It provides contemporary, earthy taste to this autumn soup.
- Nutmeg – For heat depth of taste.
- Cayenne pepper – It provides the soup a refined spicy kick.
- Maple syrup – It highlights the squash’s pure sweetness.
- Recent lemon juice – For brightness.
- And salt and pepper – To make all of the flavors pop!
Discover the entire recipe with measurements beneath.
Find out how to Make Acorn Squash Soup
You may consider this acorn squash soup recipe in three components: roast, simmer, and mix.
First, roast the squash. Reduce the squash in half vertically and scoop out the seeds. Rub the minimize sides with olive oil and sprinkle them with salt and pepper. Place the squash halves, minimize aspect down, on a parchment-lined baking sheet. Wrap the garlic cloves in a chunk of foil with a drizzle of olive oil and add it to the baking sheet. Roast at 400°F for 35 to 45 minutes, or till the squash is fork-tender.
Measure 2 1/2 cups of the delicate squash flesh. Save any further for one more use!
Subsequent, simmer the soup. Sauté the onion and carrots, then stir within the spices. Add the two 1/2 cups of roasted squash, the roasted and peeled garlic, the vegetable broth, and thyme. Simmer, stirring sometimes, for 20 minutes, to permit the flavors to meld.
Lastly, mix. Working in batches if needed, switch the soup to a blender and puree till easy (an immersion blender works too!). Add the lemon juice and maple syrup and mix once more. Season to style, and luxuriate in!
Acorn Squash Soup Recipe Ideas
- Squash too robust to chop? Pop it within the microwave. Occasionally, you’ll come throughout a winter squash that’s insanely onerous to chop open, so onerous that hacking at it simply isn’t productive (or secure). In these circumstances, I like to melt the squash earlier than I minimize it open. I do that by microwaving it for 1-minute bursts, or I roast it within the oven for about 10 minutes, simply till it’s delicate sufficient to chop open. When you’ll be able to minimize the softened squash in half, scoop out the seeds, and proceed with the recipe as written. Straightforward!
- Crunchy toppings are unbelievable. I really like the way in which crunchy toppings play off the sleek and creamy texture of this soup! Strive dressing it up with toasted pepitas, or pile your bowl with selfmade croutons. Recent garnishes, comparable to microgreens or chopped parsley, are additionally scrumptious on this soup.
- It’s higher on the second day. Strive to not devour all of this acorn squash soup on day 1! It retains nicely within the fridge for as much as 4 days, and if you happen to ask me, the flavour solely improves because it sits. For longer storage, freeze it for as much as 3 months. Take it from me–it’s such a deal with to search out this soup in your freezer when it’s chilly exterior!
Extra Favourite Soup Recipes
For those who love this roasted acorn squash soup, attempt certainly one of these scrumptious soup recipes subsequent:
Acorn Squash Soup
Serves 4 to six
Full of contemporary veggies and herbs, this acorn squash soup recipe is creamy, comforting, and SO flavorful. We adore it on chilly fall nights! Vegan and gluten-free.
- 2 medium acorn squash, about 3 kilos
- 3 garlic cloves, unpeeled
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for drizzling
- 1 massive yellow onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, chopped
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, plus extra for sprinkling
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 1 tablespoon contemporary thyme leaves, plus extra for garnish
- 2 tablespoons contemporary lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- Freshly floor black pepper
- Pepitas, for garnish, non-obligatory
- Microgreens, for garnish, non-obligatory
Preheat the oven to 400°F and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
Slice the squash in half lengthwise and scoop out the seeds. Drizzle the squash halves with olive oil and sprinkle with salt and pepper. Place minimize aspect down on the baking sheet. Wrap the garlic cloves in a chunk of foil with a drizzle of oil and a pinch of salt and place on the baking sheet. Roast for 35 to 45 minutes, or till the squash is tender when pierced with a fork. Take away from the oven and put aside to chill.
When cool sufficient to deal with, peel the garlic cloves and discard the papers. Scoop the delicate squash flesh out of the pores and skin and measure 2½ cups. Discard the squash skins and save the remaining flesh for one more use.
Warmth the olive oil in a big pot or Dutch oven over medium warmth. Add the onion, carrots, and salt and prepare dinner, stirring sometimes, for five to eight minutes, or till softened. Stir within the cayenne, nutmeg, and a number of other grinds of pepper, then add the 2½ cups roasted squash, the garlic, broth, and thyme leaves. Simmer, stirring sometimes, for 20 minutes.
Permit the soup to chill barely, then switch to a blender with the lemon juice and maple syrup and mix till easy. Work in batches if needed. Season to style.
Portion into bowls and serve with a drizzle of olive oil, contemporary thyme leaves, pepitas, and microgreens for garnish.