After I took bodybuilding champion Alina Popa out into the Southwestern desert for images, her response was, “Although I’ve by no means been out right here earlier than, it appears very acquainted to me. As a result of I’ve seen this type of panorama in so many Hollywood motion pictures since I used to be a younger lady. Particularly, the westerns. I half count on Clint Eastwood to come back driving over the hill at any second.”
In fact, there are spectacular landscapes in Alina’s native Romania. Once more, one thing you’ll be able to usually see in motion pictures. And at one level she lived in Switzerland, and there are few locations on the earth with such spectacular mountains. However the American desert Southwest presents some amazingly thrilling desert and mountain terrain, together with nationwide parks and celebrated places equivalent to Large Sur, Yosemite, Yellowstone, and the Grand Canyon.
There are additionally some nice places inside brief driving distance of Los Angeles, and I took Alina to 2 of those to do photograph classes. Fortuitously, it was not super-hot for both photograph session (I’ve been out capturing when it was 113ºF). So, we had been capable of work for prolonged intervals of time with out critical discomfort.
Like a lot of the feminine bodybuilders I’ve photographed within the desert, capturing on location offered no downside for Alina – not the warmth nor mountain climbing by means of rugged terrain, avoiding spiky cactus or looking for snakes. We additionally needed to get up at 5 a.m. to catch the dawn, however ladies bodybuilders are normally good with early rising.
I’ve had fashions terrified of snakes, however in a number of many years capturing within the desert I’ve solely seen a snake twice. However I’ve had to make use of a pliers to drag cactus spines out of my leg. My common process is to cleared the path and have the mannequin stroll proper behind me to maintain her out of bother. In brushy areas, I’m going in first and I’ve a employees I take advantage of to ensure there may be nothing to fret about within the space.
I’ve additionally climbed up slippery, rocky slopes in a approach I shouldn’t have, might by no means do as we speak or let one among my fashions do both.
I usually shoot the place there are sand dunes, however there have been none the place Alina and I went. However there have been loads of granite boulders, sheer cliffs of purple rock desolate areas that resemble moonscapes.
Alina Popa has since moved to Phoenix, AZ, the place she is working with Jake Wooden as Vice President of European Operations and Athletes’ Consultant at Wings of Power. So, I’m certain she is getting her fill of all of the desert terrain she might hope for.
Alina Popa Bodybuilding Contest Historical past
- 2000 Regional Cup – 2nd (HW)
- 2000 IFBB Nationwide Championship – third (HW)
- 2003 IFBB Nationwide Championship – 1st (MW)
- 2004 IFBB European Championship – 2nd (HW)
- 2005 Blended Pairs European Championship – 2nd
- 2005 Ladies’s European Championship – fifth
- 2006 Grand Prix Due Torri – 1st
- 2007 NABBA Miss Universe – 1st (Miss Physique class)
- 2008 IFBB Worlds Santa Susanna – 1st (General and HW)
- 2010 IFBB Ms. Worldwide – eighth
- 2011 IFBB Ms. Worldwide – third
- 2011 IFBB Ms. Olympia – fifth
- 2012 IFBB Ms. Worldwide – third
- 2012 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 4th
- 2013 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 2nd
- 2014 IFBB Ms. Olympia – 2nd
- 2016 WOS Rising Phoenix World Championships – third
- 2018 IFBB Muscle Vodka Tampa Professional – 1st
- 2018 Rising Phoenix World Championships – 1st
Alina Popa Statistics
Body weight and bodyfat
- 2008 – In Season: 165 lb (75 kg) Off-Season: 181 lb (82 kg)
- 2008 – In Season: 16.3 in (410 mm) Off-Season: 17 in (430 mm)
- 2008 – 47 in (1,200 mm)
- 2008 – In Season: 24.8 in (630 mm) Off-Season: 26.8 in (680 mm)
- 2008 – 17 in (430 mm)
Finest lifts (for reps)
- Squat- 375 kilos (170 kg) x 4-6 reps
- Bench press- 242 kilos (110 kg) x 4-6 reps
- Bicep curls – 65 kilos (29 kg) every arm x 3 reps
- Deadlift – 308 kilos (140 kg) x 8 reps