Hiya to all my lemon lovers! Ya woman is again with one other EPIC cake recipe simply in time for Valentine’s Day, as a result of each vacation deserves cake. Final yr you all went loopy for this unimaginable inside out chocolate coated strawberry cake, so I purchased again the gorgeous berry theme to share with you and your sweetie pies.
This stunning lemon raspberry cake has recent raspberries, lemon juice and zest, plus a contact of almond taste that makes it style like your favourite nostalgic lemon poppy seed muffin. To make it further particular and much more stunning for any event, I added a beautiful lemon raspberry buttercream frosting.
I stored the cake gluten free to share with your whole GF mates and family members, and it’s simply made dairy free as properly. The cake layers are completely moist due to siggi’s yogurt and I LOVE the additional berry taste that the raspberry plant-based cup provides! Bake this magnificence up, share along with your love and have a superb Valentine’s Day.
Fall in LOVE with this lemon raspberry cake
In addition to being the right Valentine’s Day dessert, there’s much more to like about this completely moist, scrumptious lemon poppy seed cake. Its:
- Gluten free: due to almond flour and oat flour (which you can also make at house!)
- Naturally sweetened: with some honey.
- Deliciously moist: from baking siggi’s yogurt proper inside! Siggi’s yogurt additionally has extra protein than sugar per cup so you may actually be ok with incorporating it into recipes (and having fun with it as-is). The cake will get its texture and ideal fats for the crumb due to almond flour and siggi’s – whoo hoo!
- Simply dairy free: through the use of siggi’s plant-based cups and your fav vegan buttery stick (within the frosting). I’m at present dairy free whereas I’m breastfeeding Viggo, so I examined it this manner and it was fabulous!
Components on this gluten free lemon raspberry cake
As I discussed, this stunning raspberry lemon cake shouldn’t be solely gluten free, however it’s additionally simply dairy free, naturally sweetened, and bursting with taste. Right here’s what you’ll have to make it:
- Eggs: you’ll want 4 eggs on this cake recipe to offer it the best texture.
- Sweetener: we’re naturally sweetening this raspberry almond cake with honey.
- Yogurt: I completely love baking with siggi’s yogurt as a result of it’s made with tremendous easy components and provides the right quantity of moisture and taste with out including a ton of sugar. As I discussed, I used the raspberry or blended berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt as a result of I’m at present dairy free, however you can too use their common raspberry or blended berry cups.
- Lemon: that beautiful lemon taste comes from each recent lemon juice and lemon zest.
- Flour: we’re utilizing a mixture of effective blanched almond flour and oat flour as the bottom of this recipe to maintain it gluten free. The almond flour provides a fantastic almond taste to the cake together with a tremendous texture!
- Baking staples: you’ll additionally want baking soda, salt, and almond extract to essentially convey out that almond taste.
- For the lemon raspberry frosting: you’ll want butter (or a vegan buttery stick like Miyokos), powdered sugar, extra lemon juice & zest, recent raspberries, and somewhat milk of selection.
- For the filling & garnish: don’t overlook recent raspberries for between the layers and on high of the cake!
Extra raspberry choices
This raspberry lemon cake is critically excellent as-is, however there are a few other ways you need to use recent raspberries or raspberry jam that can nonetheless be scrumptious!
- Be at liberty to bake recent raspberries instantly into the cake layers. Merely toss 1 heaping cup of recent raspberries in a tablespoon or two of oat flour earlier than including them to the batter in order that the raspberry juice doesn’t unfold.
- As a substitute of utilizing recent raspberries you need to use ¼ cup raspberry jam between every layer on high of the frosting (so ½ cup whole). Simply don’t unfold the highest of the cake with the jam!
Can I make it vegan?
I haven’t tried making this wholesome lemon poppy seed cake vegan, however if you wish to attempt you need to use 4 flax eggs (¼ cup flaxseed meal + ¾ cup water) and permit it to take a seat for 10 minutes till a gel-like consistency varieties. Discover ways to make a flax egg with this tutorial, and let me know within the feedback the way it works out!
Be at liberty to sub maple syrup for the honey within the cake to make it really vegan, too!
A be aware on flour substitutions
Please be aware that I can not advocate an alternative to the almond or oat flour because the ratios are what give this cake the right texture. See under for the way to make your personal oat flour for ease!
Make your personal oat flour at house
You possibly can simply make do-it-yourself oat flour to make use of on this lemon raspberry cake recipe. Try my tutorial on the way to make do-it-yourself oat flour proper at house. Really easy!
Suggestions for adorning this raspberry lemon cake
Should you’ve by no means adorned a three-layer cake earlier than, don’t fear! It’s simple and can end up fantastically with a number of ideas:
- For the layers: minimize the raspberries in half lengthwise so as to add them between the cake layers and punctiliously smoosh them into the layers. It will make sure that there isn’t an excessive amount of area between the layers.
- For the frosting: be sure you solely frost your cake as soon as the layers are utterly cooled, in any other case the frosting will soften. Do a crumb coat first by frosting the layers as you usually would after which coat the skin of the cake with a really skinny layer of frosting then place within the fridge for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than you end frosting. That is in order that the crumbs keep on with this layer of frosting and never your predominant layer.
- For the highest: garnish the complete high of the cake with raspberries by inserting entire raspberries the other way up onto the cake. See the pictures for reference! I like to recommend doing this simply earlier than serving the cake in order that the berries keep recent and juicy!
Easy methods to make the lemon raspberry buttercream frosting
Not solely is that this simple lemon raspberry buttercream frosting beautiful, however it’s additionally SO scrumptious and bursting with taste. Right here’s the way to make it:
- Mix the raspberries. You’ll wish to begin by mixing ½ cup of raspberries till clean. Pour that combination right into a bowl by means of a sieve to pressure the seeds out, and use the again of a spoon to get all the juice out.
- Whip the butter. Add softened butter (or vegan butter) to a bowl of an electrical mixer and whip it on excessive till it’s gentle and fluffy.
- Combine the frosting. Add powdered sugar, lemon juice & zest, and the raspberry puree to the electrical mixer and beat on excessive once more for a pair extra minutes till properly mixed. You might want so as to add a tablespoon or so of milk to skinny the frosting and make it creamier, however this simply depends upon the way you prefer it.
P.S. you can also make the frosting as much as every week forward of time! Merely retailer it in an hermetic container within the fridge till you’re prepared to make use of it. Let the frosting come to room temp earlier than spreading it in your cake.
If you wish to make an everyday lemon buttercream: merely omit the raspberry puree, add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice (so 2 tablespoons whole) and 1-2 tablespoons of milk.
Easy methods to retailer & freeze this lemon poppy seed cake
To avoid wasting time you may completely make this lemon raspberry cake 1-2 days forward of time! Be at liberty to make the cake layers forward and retailer them within the fridge, or make the entire frosted cake and retailer it.
- To retailer: I like to recommend storing the cake properly coated within the fridge for as much as 5-7 days.
- To freeze: be at liberty to freeze this lemon raspberry cake both frosted or unfrosted for as much as 2 months. I like to recommend freezing it unfrosted in particular person layers for the perfect outcomes. First, wrap every particular person layer in plastic wrap, then aluminum foil after which place the desserts in a zip-top freezer bag. If you’re able to serve it, merely thaw it within the fridge in a single day after which let the cake come to room temperature earlier than frosting and serving.
Our fav cake baking instruments
Get all of our go-to kitchen necessities right here!
Extra wonderful cake recipes
Get all of my cake recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on this excellent lemon raspberry cake recipe! Should you make it make sure you depart a remark and a score so I understand how you favored it. Take pleasure in, xo!
Almond Lemon Raspberry Poppy Seed Cake
Complete Time 1 hour 25 minutes
Attractive lemon raspberry cake made with recent lemon juice and zest, raspberries, poppy seeds and a luscious lemon raspberry frosting. This lemon poppy seed cake is made gluten free due to almond flour and oat flour, and is well made dairy free with siggi’s raspberry plant-based yogurt and vegan butter!
- Moist components:
eggs, at room temperature
(5.3 ounce) container of raspberry or blended berry plant-based siggi’s yogurt*
- Zest from 2 giant lemons
recent squeezed lemon juice
- Dry components:
packed blanched effective almond flour
oat flour** (don’t pack!)
- For the lemon raspberry frosting:
(12 ounces) butter or vegan buttery stick (corresponding to Miyokos), at room temperature
recent lemon juice
raspberries (to make 1-2 tablespoons raspberry puree)
- Optionally available: 1 tablespoon milk, if crucial
- For the filling:
recent raspberries, minimize in half lengthwise
- For the garnish:
recent raspberries (don’t minimize!)
Preheat the oven to 350 levels F.
Line the underside of three 6-inch spherical cake pans or two 8-inch spherical cake pans with parchment paper rounds. Spray parchment paper and sides of the pans with nonstick cooking spray. YOU SHOULD USE PARCHMENT PAPER or the cake is prone to stick. Please don’t forget.
In a big bowl, whisk collectively the eggs, honey, yogurt, lemon zest, lemon juice and almond extract. The combination ought to be clean and properly mixed.
In a separate bowl, whisk the almond flour, oat flour, poppyseeds, baking soda and salt. Add the dry components to the moist components and blend properly with a rubber spatula till clean.
Divide batter evenly between pans and unfold out with a spatula to clean the tops. Bake for 18-28 minutes within the two 8-inch pans or 25-35 minutes for 3 6-inch pans. Muffins are performed when a tester comes out clear or with just some crumbs connected. Permit the cake to chill utterly earlier than frosting or eradicating from the pans. The cake ought to be room temperature whenever you frost it. This is essential. Muffins might be made a day forward when you’d like.
Make your frosting: Add ½ cup raspberries to a blender and mix till clean. Pour combination by means of a sieve over a small bowl and use the again of a spoon to get all the juice out so that you solely have the seeds remaining. Set the raspberry juice puree apart. Within the bowl of an electrical mixer, add the softened butter or vegan butter and whip on excessive till gentle and fluffy, about 1-2 minutes. Add 4 cups powdered sugar, lemon juice, lemon zest and a couple of tablespoons of the raspberry puree; beat on excessive for 1-2 minutes extra till properly mixed. Style and add extra powdered sugar to your liking, if crucial. You might have to scrape the frosting down the edges of the bowl after which beat once more. Optionally available: You might want so as to add in somewhat little bit of milk (about 1 tablespoon) to skinny the frosting out so it’s somewhat extra creamy, however it depends upon the way you prefer it! I really like a thick frosting.
Now it’s time to frost the cake: place about 1 tablespoons down onto the cake stand and unfold out. Invert a cake onto the cake stand, add about 1/2 heaping cup frosting between every layer. Lower the raspberries reserved for the filling in half lengthwise, and place them over the filling between every layer, masking the complete floor. You wish to form of smoosh them into the frosting as greatest you may. It’s okay in the event that they break a bit, however it will be important that they’re properly nestled into the frosting in order that there aren’t giant gaps between the cake layers. Repeat with every cake, then frost the highest and sides of the cake with the remaining lemon frosting. If the cake is barely ‘bare’ on the skin, that’s okay, it’s going to be scrumptious!
Garnish with recent raspberries simply earlier than serving the cake to verify they keep as recent as potential!
Cake will keep good at room temp for a day or so, then ought to be positioned within the fridge. Cake will keep good for 5-7 days within the fridge, and ought to be well-covered to make sure freshness.
If you wish to make an everyday lemon buttercream, merely omit the raspberry puree, add an additional tablespoon of lemon juice and 1-2 tablespoons of milk of option to the frosting.
*You may also use common siggi’s raspberry or blended berry cups.
To do a crumb layer: Frost the layers as you usually would after which coat the skin of the cake with a really skinny layer of the frosting. Then, place the cake within the fridge for 10-Quarter-hour earlier than you end frosting. That is in order that the crumbs keep on with this layer of frosting and never your predominant layer.
**Be at liberty to make your personal oat flour at house utilizing this tutorial.
As a substitute of utilizing recent raspberries, you need to use about ¼ cup raspberry jam between every layer, so that you’d want ½ cup whole. See extra concepts within the weblog put up!
Recipe by: Monique Volz // Bold Kitchen | Pictures by The Aware Hapa
This put up is sponsored by siggi’s. All textual content and opinions are my very own. Thanks for supporting the manufacturers that make AK potential!