Easy and candy Baked Acorn Squash Slices with brown sugar and pecans are a fast and straightforward aspect dish recipe match for a busy winter weeknight or a particular gathering with family and friends.
Even greens should dress up from time to time.
Brushed with butter and maple syrup and sprinkled with brown sugar, pecans, and spices, this baked acorn squash slices recipe is the proper option to sneak one thing candy however nonetheless healthy-ish (like Roasted Carrots) onto your dinner unfold that completely enhances the savory dishes in your menu.
One other perk?
Fast roasted acorn squash slices are simple, fuss-free, and will be prepared in simply round 30-minutes.
5 Star Assessment
“WOW!! My husband and youngsters LOVED the squash!! Simple to make and a terrific mixture of a bit candy and tad spice. This was a success!”
— April —
Make Baked Acorn Squash Slices
Slice, brush, sprinkle, bake.
It doesn’t get a lot simpler than that.
Listed here are a couple of finest practices for getting acorn squash:
- Select an acorn squash with boring inexperienced pores and skin—a bit orange is okay although.
- Ripe acorn squash ought to really feel heavy for its dimension (heavy = moist)!
- Look out for delicate spots.
- Keep away from grabbing a squash bigger than 3 kilos since these are inclined to have a drier, stringier texture.
- Olive Oil. For fats and extra moisture that helps the squash caramelize and develop into tender within the oven.
- Maple Syrup. A touch of maple syrup infuses the squash with festive taste and enhances the brown sugar. (For those who desire a savory squash aspect dish, do that Simple Roasted Butternut Squash Parmesan.)
- Brown Sugar. Attain for darkish brown sugar if you happen to can for an additional enhance of molasses taste.
- Pecans. Add a stunning contrasting crunch to the tender squash.
- Cayenne Pepper. Only a pinch (or extra if you’d like extra warmth) for a bit one thing that takes this simple baked acorn squash recipe to the following degree.
- Halve, seed, and slice the squash. NO NEED TO PEEL!
When you’ve got a pumpkin carving software laying round, use it to simply (and safely) halve your acorn squash. Then, seize a pointy chef’s knife to chop into slices.
- Stir collectively the olive oil and maple syrup then brush over the squash slices.
- Pulse the brown sugar and pecans in a meals processor with salt, pepper, and cayenne till finely floor. Sprinkle half of the combination over the squash slices.
- Roast the acorn squash slices in a preheated oven for five minutes, flip, then brush with the maple olive oil, and high with the remaining brown sugar combination.
- Return to the oven till caramelized and fork-tender. Serve heat and ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Leftover roasted squash slices could also be saved, coated, within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Reheat. Heat in a 350 diploma F oven, on a parchment-lined baking sheet, or within the microwave till steaming.
Meal Prep Tip
To prep this recipe forward:
- The brown sugar topping will be prepped as much as 2 days upfront. Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature.
- The squash will be sliced as much as 1 day upfront. Retailer in an hermetic container or ziptop bag within the fridge.
- When able to bake, assemble and roast the squash as directed.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
The Greatest Small Meals Processor
I really like having this smaller Ninja meals processor round for smaller duties and simpler clear up. It nonetheless has so many options, but takes up a lot much less house in a cupboard.
Baked acorn squash slices, you’re too candy to be this wholesome. Are you positive you’re not dessert?
Often Requested Questions
Sure! For those who cook dinner an acorn squash lengthy sufficient and with sufficient moisture, it’s potential for the pores and skin to develop into tender sufficient to eat. The squash pores and skin on this recipe is okay to eat. Personally, I usually simply eat the flesh of the squash and discard the more durable pores and skin, although the selection is yours.
I really like roasted acorn squash slices as a result of it’s a lot simpler to guage their doneness than entire acorn squash or Roasted Spaghetti Squash. The slices are performed then they give the impression of being caramelized and are fork-tender.
Sure! Made with out butter or dairy, that is the BEST fast roasted acorn squash recipe for people that select to observe a plant-based eating regimen.
- 3 tablespoons further virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 acorn squash or related laborious winter squash, comparable to carnival (about 1 1/2 kilos every)
- 1/3 cup darkish brown sugar
- 1/2 cup entire pecans
- 2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
Place a rack within the higher and decrease thirds of the oven and preheat the oven to 400 levels F. Line two rimmed baking sheets with aluminum foil and frivolously coat with cooking spray.
Halve, seed, and slice the squash into 1-inch thick crescent slices, then organize in a single layer on the ready baking sheets.
In a small bowl, stir collectively the olive oil and maple syrup after which brush the squash slices with half of the olive oil/maple syrup combination.
Add the brown sugar and pecans to a meals processor fitted with a metal blade and course of till the pecans are finely floor. Add the salt, black pepper, and cayenne pepper and pulse to mix. Sprinkle half of the brown sugar combination excessive of the brushed squash slices, reserving the opposite half.
Place the squash within the oven and roast for five minutes, till the brown sugar begins to soften. Take away from the oven and, utilizing tongs, a fork, or very fast fingers, flip over every slice. Brush with the remaining olive oil/maple syrup combination and sprinkle them with the remaining brown sugar combination. Return the baking sheets to the oven and proceed roasting till the squash slices are fork-tender, about 20 extra minutes. Serve heat or at room temperature.
- TO STORE: Leftover roasted squash slices could also be saved, coated, within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO REHEAT: Heat in a 350 diploma F oven, on a parchment-lined baking sheet, or within the microwave till steaming.
- TO MAKE-AHEAD: The brown sugar topping will be prepped as much as 2 days upfront. Retailer in an hermetic container at room temperature. The squash will be sliced as much as 1 day upfront. Retailer in an hermetic container or ziptop bag within the fridge. Brush and sprinkle the squash slices simply earlier than baking.
Serving: 1servingEnergy: 242kcalCarbohydrates: 33gProtein: 2gFats: 13gSaturated Fats: 2gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 8gPotassium: 569mgFiber: 3gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 551IUVitamin C: 16mgCalcium: 73mgIron: 1mg
Be part of at the moment and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite tasks and tutorials.