Precisely nobody complains when sticky Bourbon Rooster is on the menu! Serve this simple, lighter twist on the New Orleans Chinese language-American unique with rice, then bask within the blissful silence as the entire desk inhales it with gusto.
Bourbon hen is a stir fry model recipe that options items of fried hen thighs in a candy, sticky, and savory brown sugar bourbon glaze.
Why Is It Known as Bourbon Rooster?
Bourbon hen is called after Bourbon Road in New Orleans (that’s why the “Bourbon” in Bourbon hen” is capitalized).
- Because the story goes, the dish was popularized in a Chinese language restaurant that was positioned on Bourbon Road.
Bourbon hen does even have alcohol within the sauce, although most of it cooks off.
- In step with the identify, bourbon is utilized in Bourbon hen. It helps steadiness the sauce and preserve it from tasting too candy.
Nowadays, you could find Bourbon hen properly past Bourbon road; it’s a frequent menu merchandise at shopping center meals courts.
The Bourbon hen you discover in a mall is battered, fried, and the sauce comprises a hefty quantity of brown sugar.
- I needed to created Bourbon hen just like the meals court docket in style and spirit, however I needed mine to be calmly pan-fried as a substitute of deep fried.
- I additionally needed to scale back the quantity of sugar within the Louisiana Bourbon hen sauce.
- Many genuine Bourbon hen recipes name for 1 full cup of brown sugar or extra, which to me is extra akin to dessert.
With the assistance of my reader-favorite Crockpot Bourbon Rooster recipe as a place to begin, I arrived at at present’s lighter Bourbon hen recipe.
The sauce is thick and sticky (top-of-the-line components of this dish!), the meat is tender and juicy, and it has sufficient sweetness to fulfill that meals court docket craving, with out going overboard.
Learn how to Make Bourbon Rooster
The Bourbon hen sauce makes use of candy, salty, and acidic elements to realize the appropriate steadiness.
Sometimes, it’s served with rice, although you possibly can actually flip it into lettuce wraps, combine in sautéed greens (what we normally do), or serve it with a crisp salad, like this Asian Cabbage Salad.
- Rooster Thighs. Bourbon hen thighs are my absolute favourite! The thigh meat is extremely tender, flavorful, and received’t dry out throughout cooking.
- Soy Sauce. Offers the sauce a lift of umami taste.
- Bourbon. This recipe’s namesake is chargeable for that addictive, deep bourbon taste within the sauce.
- Maple Syrup. Helps make the sauce candy, sticky, and scrumptious.
- Brown Sugar. A modest quantity for added sweetness. It additionally helps thicken the sauce.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Provides acidity to the sauce and helps make the deliciously hen tender.
- Cornstarch. Cornstarch helps the surface of the hen brown, and it thickens the sauce.
- Stir the hen and a part of the cornstarch collectively.
- In a separate bowl, stir the sauce elements and remaining cornstarch collectively.
- Cook dinner the hen.
- Stir within the sauce. Cook dinner for two to 4 minutes, then add the inexperienced onions. Serve with rice and ENJOY!
Serve this recipe with Chardonnay, Shiraz, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Malbec.
- To Retailer. Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- To Reheat. Rewarm hen in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- To Freeze. Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Meal Prep Tip
As much as 1 day prematurely, lower the hen and retailer it within the fridge till you’re prepared to complete the recipe.
In fact, leftovers are scrumptious served over a mattress of rice or noodles, however they’re additionally tasty served in lettuce leaves (a spin on my beloved Lettuce Wraps).
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Liquid Measuring Cup. You’ll be able to measure and blend elements on this glass measuring cup.
- Massive Skillet. Excellent for making this recipe.
- Measuring Spoons. This recipe has numerous elements to measure, and these measuring spoons are up for the job.
Massive and Versatile Skillet
This huge cast-iron skillet is a high-quality, versatile, and easy-to-clean possibility. It’s oven-safe, so you should use it for a wide range of completely different recipes.
Ceaselessly Requested Questions
Many of the alcohol does cook dinner out of the sauce, however I like to recommend avoiding the recipe in case you are involved about having any consumption (being pregnant, abstaining, and so on.).
Whereas I’m partial to creating this sauce with bourbon (I promise it’s price it!), you could possibly experiment with swapping the bourbon for an equal quantity of apple juice. It can have a barely completely different taste however ought to nonetheless be tasty.
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup bourbon something adequate to combine right into a cocktail (Bulleit is my go-to)
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic minced (about 4 teaspoons)
- 1 tablespoon minced recent ginger
- 4 teaspoons cornstarch divided
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 1/2 kilos boneless, skinless hen thighs lower into bite-sized items (or boneless, skinless hen breast)
- 1 ½ tablespoons canola oil or grapeseed oil
- 1/3 cup chopped inexperienced onions plus further for serving
- 2 cups ready brown rice for serving
Place the hen in a medium bowl. Sprinkle 2 teaspoons cornstarch excessive, then with a spoon, stir to evenly coat the hen within the cornstarch.
In a separate bowl or liquid measuring cup, stir collectively the soy sauce, bourbon, maple syrup, brown sugar, vinegar, garlic, ginger, black pepper, and remaining 2 teaspoons cornstarch.
In a big, deep skillet, warmth the oil over medium-high. As soon as the oil is scorching and shimmering, fastidiously add the hen, breaking up any items that stick collectively. Brown on all sides, stirring once in a while, till the hen is golden and cooked via.
Add the bourbon sauce. Cooking, stirring usually, till the sauce is shiny and thickened, 2 to 4 minutes (you may nonetheless have loads of further sauce, ultimate for spooning over the rice). Stir within the inexperienced onions. Serve scorching over rice, with further inexperienced onions sprinkled on prime.
- Tailored from my Crockpot Bourbon Rooster.
- TO STORE: Refrigerate leftovers in an hermetic storage container for as much as 4 days.
- TO REHEAT: Rewarm hen in a skillet on the stovetop over medium-low warmth or within the microwave.
- TO FREEZE: Freeze leftovers in an hermetic, freezer-safe storage container for as much as 3 months. Let thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Serving: 1(of 4), with out riceEnergy: 359kcalCarbohydrates: 18gProtein: 34gFats: 12gSaturated Fats: 2gPolyunsaturated Fats: 3gMonounsaturated Fats: 6gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 162mgPotassium: 525mgFiber: 1gSugar: 12gVitamin A: 126IUVitamin C: 3mgCalcium: 47mgIron: 2mg
Be part of at present and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.