A decadent collision of buttery, flaky pie crust, a super-fudge brownie, and a shot of Irish whiskey, this Brownie Pie is a molten chocolate cake meets after-dinner drink, in wonderful pie type.
Selecting a dessert is at all times aggravating for me as a result of I can by no means slender my candy tooth craving to only one deal with.
Will it’s of the gooey fudgy selection (like these Brownie Bites)?
Or one thing with a young, further flaky crust (hiya, Vegan Chocolate Pie)?
Brownie pie says sure and YES.
No less than this as soon as, you actually can have all of it.
5 Star Evaluate
“Made this for some mates final night time – it was successful, after all.”
— Eric —
Fudgy brownie pie is two-in-one dessert perfection:
- Chocolate. With a wealthy chocolate brownie filling that’s decadent and fudgy, this brownie pie is wealthy sufficient for a special day whereas remaining decidedly homey and unfussy (like these Brownie Cookies).
- Flaky. Made with a do-it-yourself coffee-infused pie crust (very completely different from this Oil Pie Crust), its buttery, flaky texture contrasts the gooey chocolate brownie filling like a dream.
And for the grown-ups within the room, this brownie pie has one other festive high quality:
- Boozy. Spiked with Irish whiskey (or bourbon, you select), this can be a next-level brownie pie to recollect.
Crackle-topped, whiskey-fudged, and espresso-crusted, this epic brownie pie makes the dessert determination is a bit of cake, er, pie.
The best way to Make Brownie Pie
My favourite brownies (these One Bowl Brownies) are crackly on prime with a wealthy, fudgy heart. They flirt with the sting of underbaked in one of the simplest ways.
This brownie pie is equally decadent and affords an extra dimension within the crunch division.
The distinction of the crispy crust with the gooey brownie heart is pure pleasure.
This brownie pie must be chilled within the fridge in a single day to slice correctly. Make sure you plan forward. It’s definitely worth the wait.
- Chocolate x2. Cocoa powder and bittersweet chocolate work in tandem to provide the brownie filling an ultra-deep chocolate issue with simply the correct amount of chew (like these Avocado Brownies).
- Espresso Powder. Espresso and chocolate are besties. I added it in each the crust and the brownie batter. Espresso powder provides the crust a refined espresso taste. Within the filling, it intensifies the chocolate taste of the brownies. (For one more coffee-infused deal with, do that Mocha Cake.)
- Butter. Provides each the flaky pie crust and wealthy brownie filling fantastic butter taste and improves their texture.
- Flour. For our do-it-yourself brownie pie crust, I used half all goal flour and half white entire wheat flour, and it was simply as tender and flaky because the pie crusts I’ve made with 100% all goal flour.
- Powdered Sugar. When utilized in pie crust, powdered sugar yields a smoother, much less sticky pie dough that’s simpler to work with. Moreover, it additionally makes the pie crust extra tender.
- Irish Whiskey. The whiskey works in two methods. Not solely does it taste the pie and pair effectively with the chocolate and occasional, however it additionally makes the crust much more flaky (it’s the identical concept behind a vodka pie crust—the alcohol slows down the gluten formation, leaving you with a young, further flakey crust).
- Half-and-Half. Provides vital fats for richness, tenderness, and moisture.
- Granulated Sugar. Sweetens the brownies to counter the bitterness of the cocoa whereas additionally making the brownies gentle, comfortable, and ultra-tender.
- Eggs. For richness and provides the brownies some construction.
- Vanilla. Balances and marries all of the flavors collectively.
- Cornmeal. A trick I borrowed from chocolate chess pies: it improves the construction of the filling in order that the brownie pie isn’t runny.
- Pulse collectively the chilly butter with the pie crust dry elements till it resembles a cobblestone avenue.
- Add the espresso powder dissolved in 1 tablespoon of the half and half and whiskey. Pulsing collectively, including further half-and-half till the dough begins to carry collectively.
- Form the dough right into a flat, 1-inch disk, wrap in plastic, then chill.
- Roll the dough and switch to a pie pan. Trim and crimp the perimeters, then chill till able to fill.
- Beat collectively the butter, sugar, and salt for the brownie pie filling.
- Add the eggs, then stir within the cocoa, whiskey, half and half, and vanilla.
- Grind collectively the espresso powder, cornmeal, and chocolate combination, then fold it into the batter.
- Pour the batter into the ready crust then bake till the crust is golden and the filling reaches an inner temp of 165 levels F.
- Take away, let cool, then refrigerate in a single day earlier than serving. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Brownie pie could also be saved at room temperature for 2-3 hours. In any other case, it needs to be saved within the fridge. Wrapped tightly with plastic, brownie pie could also be chilled for as much as 4 days. Let come to room temperature or microwave for a number of seconds earlier than serving.
- To Freeze. Brownie pie could also be stored within the freezer, wrapped tightly in plastic and heavy-duty foil for as much as 2 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
What to Serve with Brownie Pie
Oat Milk Ice Cream
Avocado Ice Cream
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Meals Processor. Makes pulsing collectively the pie crust elements easy-peasy.
- Stand Mixer. For those who bake on the common, a top quality stand-mixer like this KitchenAid would be the greatest pal you’ve at all times wished in your kitchen.
- Pie Plate. A reasonably standard-size (not deep-dish) pie plate is all of the ornament this humble brownie pie wants.
The Greatest Meals Processor
I’ve had this 11-cup Cuisinart meals processor for over 15 years and it nonetheless works completely. It comes with a number of attachments for various slicing thicknesses.
As one dessert dilemma is solved one other begins. How massive of a slice do I take?!
Regularly Requested Questions
Irrespective of how decadent the dessert I’m baking, I at all times make a degree to include entire wheat flour for a lift of fiber the place I can. Whereas I really like the deep, nutty taste of normal entire wheat flour in bread, I discover it may be too harsh for some desserts. My resolution? White entire wheat flour. It has the identical fiber and diet as common 100% entire wheat flour, however is milled from a lighter white wheat berry, giving it a light taste and light-weight coloration that’s ultimate to be used in desserts, cookies, muffins, and sure pie.
On this brownie pie, I take advantage of a do-it-yourself flaky pie crust with the cheeky additions of whiskey and espresso. It’s my private choice for the BEST brownie pie. Nonetheless, I’ve seen recipes that use a graham cracker or chocolate cookie crust too. Be at liberty to experiment!
A number of components can impression the ultimate texture of the brownies. Improperly measuring your elements (particularly the flour) is a typical perpetrator. Overmixing the batter also can trigger brownies to be extra cake-like versus fudgy as a result of an excessive amount of air will get labored into the batter.
For the Crust:
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter very chilly
- 3/4 cup all goal flour
- 1/2 cup white entire wheat flour
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon espresso powder
- 1 – 3 tablespoons half-and-half chilly, or substitute heavy whipping cream
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (or half-and-half)
For the Brownie Filling:
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter (4 tablespoons) at room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 4 massive eggs
- 1/4 cup Dutch course of cocoa
- 2 tablespoons Irish whiskey (or half-and-half)
- 1 tablespoon half and half or substitute heavy whipping cream
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon espresso powder
- 2 tablespoons cornmeal (yellow or white)
- 2/3 cup bittersweet chocolate chips
- Whipped cream for serving (non-obligatory)
To arrange the crust, cube the butter, then place it within the freezer whilst you put together the opposite elements. Within the bowl of a meals processor fitted with a metal blade (or a medium mixing bowl), place the all goal flour, entire wheat flour, sugar, and salt, then pulse a couple of instances to mix. (If not utilizing a meals processor, stir the elements collectively in a medium bowl). Add the butter items, then pulse simply till the dough resembles a cobblestone avenue. Some items would be the dimension of peas. (With no meals processor work the butter into the dry elements with a fork or pastry blender.)
Dissolve the espresso powder in 1 tablespoon of the half and half. Sprinkle over the crust combination. Sprinkle on whiskey. Add as much as 3 tablespoons (or extra, if vital) of the half-and-half to the dry elements, pulsing a little bit after every. Add solely as a lot half and half as it’s essential for the dough to simply maintain collectively while you take a handful.
On a flippantly floured work floor, pat the dough into a fair, flat, 1-inch disk, wrap in plastic, then refrigerate for 1 hour or in a single day.
As soon as the dough is correctly chilled, place a rack within the heart of the oven and preheat the oven to 350 levels F. Take away the pie dough from the fridge and permit it to heat at room temperature till it turns into versatile sufficient to roll, 15 to half-hour. On a flippantly floured work floor, roll the dough right into a 12-inch circle. Switch the dough to a daily (not deep-dish) 9″ pie pan that is a minimum of 1 ¼ inches deep. Trim and crimp the perimeters, then place the crust within the freezer to sit back, whilst you put together the filling.
Within the bowl of a standing mixer or a medium mixing bowl, beat collectively the butter, sugar, and salt till easy.
Add the eggs one after the other, beating slowly however completely after every addition. You wish to make sure the eggs are effectively mixed, with out beating in a whole lot of air. Stir within the cocoa, whiskey, half and half, and vanilla.
In a meals processor (mini is simpler), grind collectively the espresso powder, cornmeal, and chocolate. Gently stir it into the batter, then pour the batter into the ready crust.
Bake the pie for 45 minutes, including a crust protect after 20 minutes (in case you shouldn’t have a reusable crust protect, rigorously match the perimeters with items of tin foil). The center will look very comfortable. The pie is finished baking when the interior temperature has reached 165 levels F. Take away the pie from the oven, cool to room temperature, then cowl and refrigerate in a single day earlier than serving.
Serve every slice topped with whipped cream, if desired.
- TO STORE: Brownie pie could also be saved at room temperature for 2-3 hours. In any other case, it needs to be saved within the fridge. Wrapped tightly with plastic, brownie pie could also be chilled for as much as 4 days. Let come to room temperature or microwave for a number of seconds earlier than serving.
- TO FREEZE: Brownie pie could also be stored within the freezer, wrapped tightly in plastic and heavy-duty foil for as much as 2 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than serving.
Serving: 1(of 10) with out whipped cream toppingEnergy: 412kcalCarbohydrates: 54gProtein: 6gFats: 18gSaturated Fats: 12gPolyunsaturated Fats: 1gMonounsaturated Fats: 4gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 99mgPotassium: 175mgFiber: 2gSugar: 37gVitamin A: 475IUVitamin C: 1mgCalcium: 66mgIron: 1mg
Be part of at this time and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.
Calling all chocolate lovers! Listed below are extra chocolate recipes I do know you’ll love.