Easy, creamy, and comforting, this do-it-yourself, wholesome butternut squash soup is the best weeknight dinner. This basic cup of soup contains a delicate, earthy taste with a wealthy and velvety texture. Carry this autumn squash soup recipe into your rotation year-round! Attempt serving it with recent microgreens or steak bites on the aspect.
The right way to Make Butternut Squash Soup
Skip the store-bought squash soup or the overpriced bowl on the lunch counter and make butternut squash soup proper at dwelling.
Tip: you’ll want a blender or meals processor to verify your soup has the suitable consistency.
The right way to Peel Butternut Squash
Beginning with an entire squash could be daunting should you don’t know the right way to deal with this oddly formed gourd, but it surely’s easy:
- Begin by utilizing a vegetable peeler to take away the exhausting outer peel.
- Subsequent, use a big, very sharp kitchen knife to chop off the stem finish and the underside.
- Minimize off the neck of the squash, proper above the place the squash begins to turn out to be spherical.
- Stand every bit on finish and punctiliously slice lengthwise by way of the center.
- Use a spoon to scoop out the seeds.
Now that your squash is minimize into quarters, you possibly can chop it into no matter form you need. For this recipe, you’ll need 3/4-inch to 1-inch cubes.
Are you able to Freeze Butternut Squash Soup?
Sure! This soup is ideal should you wish to meal prep. To freeze: let it cool, separate it into freezer-safe glass or silicone containers (like Souper Cubes) and place it within the freezer. It’ll final within the freezer for as much as three months.
Butternut Squash Soup Recipe
Makes: 6 servings
- 2 Tbsp. olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 minced onion
- 3 cloves garlic
- 1 chopped medium butternut squash (about 7 cups)
- 4 cups broth of alternative (I used a low sodium rooster broth)
- 2/3 cup milk of alternative
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 1/2 tsp. salt
- 1/2 tsp. floor ginger
- 1/4 tsp. smoked paprika
- 1 Tbsp. butter
- handful of recent sage leaves
Warmth the oil in a pot in your stovetop over medium warmth. As soon as sizzling, add the minced onion and saute for 3 to five minutes, or till it begins to melt. Add the garlic and stir till aromatic, then add the butternut squash chunks. Use a spoon or spatula to stir the butternut squash so it’s coated within the oil and cooks for a minute or two.
Add the broth to the pot and convey to a boil, then scale back the warmth to a simmer. Cowl the pot and permit it to cook dinner for about 20 minutes, or till the squash is tender. Add the pepper, salt, ginger, and paprika and stir.
Take away the pot from the warmth and add the milk slowly, stirring as you go to forestall it from curdling.
Use an immersion blender to mix till clean, or rigorously switch to a high-speed blender or meals processor and mix. Regulate seasoning to style. Put aside.
Warmth the butter in a small pan. As soon as melted and effervescent, add the sage leaves. Fry the sage within the butter for a couple of minutes till it browns and turns into crispy. Rigorously take away the sage from the pan and blot it on a bit of paper towel or a material. Crumble on high of the bowls of soup and/or place just a few entire sage leaves on high.
- The quantity of salt you add will fluctuate based mostly on the sodium content material of your broth. I all the time suggest including much less salt at the start. You’ll be able to add extra after you mix it up and season to style!
- This soup would even be scrumptious with some crispy bacon on high. Be at liberty to make use of bacon drippings or animal fats in lieu of the oil.
- I extremely suggest roasting a head of garlic (recipe coming quickly!) and including not less than half of the top of roasted garlic to the soup earlier than mixing. It provides an exquisite taste!
- Don’t have butternut squash? You can also make this soup with a wide range of autumn/winter squash and root veggies, together with a combo of acorn squash, pumpkin, candy potatoes, or carrots.