This Crock Pot Bourbon Rooster is N’Awlin’s meets take out, and it’s going to be one scrumptious rendez-vous. Tender rooster thighs slow-cooked in a sticky, candy bourbon sauce made with maple syrup, brown sugar, and ginger, it’s the sort of (massive) straightforward recipe that makes any day really feel extra extraordinary.
What do New Orleans, Chinese language takeout, and bourbon all have in frequent?
The reply is bourbon rooster.
I’ve visited the Massive Simple (New Orleans) thrice.
One dish I couldn’t get sufficient of (except for beignets and Blackened Salmon) was town’s well-known bourbon rooster.
Juicy rooster cooked in a candy, sticky sauce, bourbon rooster will get its identify after Bourbon Road in New Orleans, in addition to its not-so-secret boozy ingredient (you’ll additionally discover it in these Bourbon Balls).
Historical past of Bourbon Rooster
Who will get credit score for being the primary to make this dish is drastically contested (my analysis outcomes had been admittedly doubtful and conflicting). Nonetheless, there does at the least appear to be a consensus that the dish first appeared at a Chinese language restaurant that (at one time limit) was on Bourbon Road.
Whereas the unique recipe could also be one in every of legend, the crock pot bourbon rooster recipe I’m sharing as we speak will make your subsequent household dinner legendary.
5 Star Assessment
“OMG… that is scrumptious and soooo straightforward! Can’t watch for tomorrow and leftovers.”
— Paula —
Make Crockpot Bourbon Rooster
New Orleans bourbon rooster is historically made in a wok or skillet (like all one in every of these incredible stir fry recipes).
This crock pot bourbon rooster deviates from custom by reducing the prep all the way down to lower than 10 minutes and turning it into a straightforward, easy sluggish cooker recipe.
You’ll additionally discover the absence of ketchup. Whereas including 1 cup ketchup is conventional in some recipes, I want to skip it and use the from-scratch method beneath.
- Rooster. Tender, succulent boneless skinless rooster thighs are undoubtedly my favourite lower of rooster for this straightforward sluggish cooker recipe (and this Gradual Cooker Honey Garlic Rooster). This recipe requires 1.5 lbs.
- Bourbon. No want to purchase the expensive stuff. Simply be sure to select a bourbon you’ll additionally prefer to drink. A bourbon with notes of honey, caramel, cinnamon, black pepper, or dried fruit would pair particularly effectively with this dish (in addition to this Bourbon Glazed Salmon).
- Soy Sauce. Flavors the marinade with a beautiful umami taste.
- Apple Cider Vinegar. Lends some much-needed acidity to stability out the sweetness of the sauce and in addition helps to tenderize the rooster.
- Ginger + Garlic Cloves. Supplies somewhat zippy kick and Asian aptitude.
- Brown Sugar. For sweetness, depth of coloration, and delicate molasses taste.
- Maple Syrup. Compliments and enhances the bourbon taste (because it does in these Maple Bourbon Bars) whereas including further sticky sweetness to the sauce.
- Cornstarch. Thickens the sauce so it clings to each crevice of the juicy, tender rooster thighs.
- Inexperienced Onions. End this saucy rooster recipe with a little bit of coloration and freshness.
- Rice. A beneficiant scoop of fluffy brown rice is my favourite strategy to serve crock pot bourbon rooster. Nonetheless, jasmine rice, quinoa, and even farro would all be glorious choices for serving.
Whereas this bourbon rooster isn’t spicy, should you’d like a kick, add 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon crimson pepper flakes to style.
- Stir collectively the marinade (sauce) elements in a small or medium bowl.
- Place rooster in a shallow baking dish, then pour the combination over the rooster.
- Marinate, coated, within the fridge for just a few hours or in a single day for max taste.
Searching for a shortcut? Whereas I believe the BEST sluggish cooker bourbon rooster is one which’s marinated, you possibly can choose to skip this step should you’re brief on time.
- Switch the rooster and marinade to a sluggish cooker.
- Prepare dinner the bourbon rooster on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for two 1/2 – 3 hours. Take away the rooster after which switch the sauce to a saucepan on the range high.
- Make a slurry with 2 tablespoons water and a couple of tablespoons cornstarch. Pour the cornstarch combination into the pot and warmth the sauce to thicken.
- Pour sauce over the rooster. Chop the inexperienced onion and serve with rice. Season with salt or crimson pepper flakes to style. ENJOY!
- To Retailer. Leftover crock pot bourbon rooster could also be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- To Freeze. Retailer cooked sluggish cooker bourbon rooster in an hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than warming.
- To Reheat. Heat within the microwave till steaming.
Really helpful Instruments to Make this Recipe
- Gradual Cooker. This previous woman has been my trusted kitchen accomplice for a number of years now.
- Whisk. A small dimension for incorporating the cornstarch slurry into the effervescent sauce.
- Shallow Baking Dish. Good for marinating meat and baking up casseroles.
The Finest Programmable Crockpot
This 6-quart crockpot has straightforward programmable options, a stone insert that can be used within the microwave and oven, and a straightforward locking lid for transporting it.
Bourbon rooster, I don’t know the place you got here from, I’m simply glad I discovered you!
Often Requested Questions
Sure. In reality, most bourbon rooster recipes are made on the stovetop. This specific recipe I’ve solely performed within the sluggish cooker so it could be an experiment to adapt. I might recommend both cooking the rooster on the stovetop, or simmering it within the marinade till it’s cooked via. Take away the rooster, then cut back and thicken the sauce with cornstarch as directed.
I’ve not tried this recipe within the oven, nevertheless, I believe it could possibly be performed. I might attempt baking the rooster within the marinade at 350 levels F, basting it periodically, till cooked via. Be aware that the sauce would seemingly have to be thickened on the range with cornstarch after the rooster is cooked.
I’ve not made this recipe with bone-in thighs so I, sadly, can’t give particular recommendation on timing. My publish on Crock Pot Shredded Rooster could also be place to begin nevertheless because it presents suggestions and directions for getting ready bone-in rooster within the sluggish cooker.
Frozen rooster can’t be positioned straight within the sluggish cooker, as it should spend too lengthy at an unsafe temperature. In the event you’d like to make use of frozen rooster, you should definitely thaw it fully first.
- 1 1/2 kilos boneless skinless rooster thighs trimmed of extra fats*
- 1/2 cup low sodium soy sauce or tamari for a gluten-free different
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 cup bourbon (You do not want top-shelf—simply make sure that it is a model you’d additionally take pleasure in consuming. I like Bulleit.)
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons pure maple syrup
- 5 cloves crushed garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced contemporary ginger
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/4 cup chopped inexperienced onions for serving
- 2 cups Ready brown rice for serving
In a small bowl, stir collectively the soy sauce, apple cider vinegar, bourbon, brown sugar, maple syrup, garlic, ginger, and black pepper.
Organize the rooster in a shallow baking dish, then pour the combination over the rooster. Cowl the dish tightly, switch to the fridge and marinate for so long as time permits (just a few hours or in a single day).
Flippantly coat a 4-to-6-quart crockpot with cooking spray and organize the marinated rooster thighs within the backside of the sluggish cooker. Pour the marinade excessive, then cowl the crockpot.
Prepare dinner on LOW for 6-7 hours or on HIGH for two 1/2 – 3 hours, till tender and cooked via.
Take away the rooster from the crock pot to a serving plate and canopy to maintain heat. Pressure the cooking liquid into a small saucepan and place it on the range.
In a small bowl, whisk collectively the cornstarch with 2 tablespoons of water to create a slurry. Warmth the saucepan on medium-high, then whisk the slurry into the cooking liquid till evenly mixed. Prepare dinner, stirring continually, till the sauce bubbles. Proceed cooking and stirring till shiny and thickened, 1-2 minutes. Take away from warmth.
Pour the sauce over the rooster, then sprinkle with inexperienced onions. Serve heat with rice.
- SHORTCUT: It’s possible you’ll skip marinating the rooster in case you are working brief on time (or just overlook to take action). The rooster will nonetheless prove scrumptious simply maybe barely much less tender and flavorful.
- INGREDIENT NOTE: I extremely suggest utilizing rooster thighs, not rooster breasts on this recipe, as rooster breasts are likely to dry out within the crockpot. In the event you resolve to substitute rooster breasts, watch the cooking time rigorously, as you could want much less time to keep away from overcooking the rooster.
- TO STORE: Leftover crock pot bourbon rooster could also be saved within the fridge for as much as 3 days.
- TO FREEZE: Retailer cooked sluggish cooker bourbon rooster in an hermetic, freezer-safe container for as much as 3 months. Defrost in a single day within the fridge earlier than warming.
- TO REHEAT: Heat within the microwave till steaming.
Serving: 1(of 4) with 1/2 cup ready brown riceEnergy: 439kcalCarbohydrates: 45gProtein: 37gFats: 7gSaturated Fats: 2gPolyunsaturated Fats: 2gMonounsaturated Fats: 2gTrans Fats: 1gLdl cholesterol: 162mgPotassium: 566mgFiber: 1gSugar: 16gVitamin A: 104IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 59mgIron: 4mg
Be part of as we speak and begin saving your favourite recipes
Create an account to simply save your favourite initiatives and tutorials.