Printed on: 23 Might 2023
If you happen to’re contemplating taking Celexa (citalopram) to your psychological well being, it’s essential to grasp the potential negative effects. A frequent query for a lot of is “does Celexa trigger weight acquire?” Although there’s no particular reply, sure selective serotonin reuptake inhibitor (SSRI) antidepressants — together with Celexa — have been discovered to probably contribute to elevated physique mass and physique weight change.
Right here we’re taking a look at Celexa and weight acquire and find out how to handle it if it’s a facet impact you expertise. We’ll additionally focus on weight reduction methods whereas nonetheless taking Celexa, so you possibly can determine whether or not this SSRI antidepressant treatment and its frequent negative effects are best for you.
How A lot Weight Do You Achieve on Celexa?
Slight weight acquire is a typical facet impact when taking an SSRI antidepressant resembling Celexa. Whereas the burden gained varies from individual to individual and is determined by many elements, it’s normally minimal — some analysis suggests weight acquire in folks taking antidepressants is often not more than 6 kilos over the course of two years.
That mentioned, it’s tough to foretell how a lot, if any, Celexa weight acquire you might have as a result of everybody responds otherwise to medicines and has totally different physique chemistry and way of life habits that would impression weight. Research present that people who find themselves initially underweight once they begin taking antidepressants usually tend to acquire weight because of their remedy plan. Additionally, unsurprisingly, in research, these with an unhealthy way of life is perhaps extra susceptible to vital weight acquire after beginning antidepressants.
What causes extra weight acquire — Celexa or Lexapro?
Celexa and Lexapro are two generally prescribed antidepressants to handle melancholy signs. They’ve each been identified to probably trigger slight, however normally minimal, weight acquire as a Celexa facet impact. Nonetheless, The Nationwide Library of Drugs has linked decreased urge for food to Lexapro, which in principle, may result in Celexa having extra potential to trigger weight acquire. Extra a extra in-depth comparability of those two medicines, take a look at our article on Celexa vs. Lexapro.
“Whereas sufferers on Celexa or Lexapro have reported weight acquire, it’s all the time essential to work carefully together with your prescriber to grasp why. SSRIs increase serotonin, which impacts conduct and has been proven to extend urge for food, which can lead to weight acquire however not essentially trigger it. When taking any new medicines, keep in mind well-established routines will help promote optimum impact and likewise general well being.”
– Talkspace therapist Elizabeth Keohan, LCSW-C, LICSW, LCSW
Psychiatry and Prescriptions On-line
Obtain an analysis and prescription for psychological well being treatment (if wanted) from a psychiatry-trained medical supplier.
Potential Causes of Weight Achieve from Celexa
It’s not all the time straightforward to pinpoint the precise reason for this Celexa facet impact, however some elements are extensively believed to be attainable contributors.
Improve in urge for food
One attainable reason for Celexa weight acquire is an enhance in urge for food. Individuals who take Celexa usually report feeling hungrier and craving extra meals than common. This could result in overeating and, consequently, weight acquire over time. Moreover, sure meals can set off cravings, contributing to undesirable physique weight change if not appropriately managed.
One other potential issue for gaining weight on Celexa is metabolic modifications brought on by the drug itself. Some folks expertise slowed metabolism as a consequence of their treatment use which implies that energy are burned off extra slowly, resulting in gradual however regular will increase in physique mass index (BMI).
Many people report weariness or sluggishness when taking this drug, making exercising powerful in some circumstances. Coupled with elevated urge for food and slowed metabolism, lack of train might trigger further, and even vital weight acquire.
Can You Lose Weight Whereas Taking Celexa?
Sure, it’s attainable to shed kilos whereas on Celexa. Managing weight acquire on Celexa could seem tough, however with the appropriate assets and data, sustaining or shedding pounds is feasible.
Tips on how to Handle Weight Achieve on Celexa
With the next ideas, you will get a maintain on managing weight acquire from Celexa.
- First, keep a wholesome and balanced weight loss program. Consuming loads of contemporary vegatables and fruits, lean proteins, and complete grains will assist keep your metabolism and forestall unhealthy cravings.
- You additionally wish to make sure you get sufficient sleep every night time. Lack of sleep can result in elevated starvation hormones like ghrelin which may trigger overeating or binge consuming.
- Keep energetic, as bodily exercise helps increase mood-regulating neurotransmitters like serotonin which can be affected by the treatment. For optimum psychological well being, attempt for half-hour of reasonable bodily exercise, resembling strolling or swimming, day by day.
- Lastly, take into account speaking to a psychological well being skilled about how greatest to handle any modifications in urge for food or Celexa and weight acquire. A therapist will help you study to make use of wholesome coping methods when coping with cravings or tense consuming behaviors that will contribute to weight acquire. With the appropriate mixture of way of life modifications and psychological help, you possibly can handle any potential negative effects from Celexa use, together with weight acquire.
If you happen to’re involved in regards to the negative effects of Celexa, please discuss to a health care provider first. It’s best to all the time seek the advice of with a licensed skilled earlier than you take into account stopping any treatment, as withdrawal from Celexa can happen.
“We should keep in mind that any new treatment’s objective is to lower adverse signs. I all the time encourage purchasers to keep in mind that wholesome routines beget optimum outcomes. Even when signs enhance, we nonetheless should do the “work” to stay wholesome, which incorporates sleep, train, and vitamin, and requires self-education outdoors of our suppliers. It’s not inconceivable to handle issues successfully, utilizing the instruments and help from remedy, along with a considerate routine.”
– Talkspace therapist Elizabeth Keohan, LCSW-C, LICSW, LCSW
Discover Out If Celexa is Proper for You with Talkspace
Getting management over Celexa weight acquire might be tough, however it’s attainable with the appropriate assets and data. If you happen to’re contemplating taking Celexa to your psychological well being wants, Talkspace will help. Our on-line psychiatry and remedy platform gives a handy and secure option to entry high quality care from dwelling. We provide personalised remedy plans tailor-made to your wants, together with treatment administration companies, so you possibly can confidently take into account getting Celexa on-line in case your physician recommends it to deal with your melancholy or different psychological well being situation.
- Arterburn D, Sofer T, Boudreau D, et al. Lengthy-term weight change after initiating second-generation antidepressants. Journal of Scientific Drugs. 2016;5(4):48. doi:10.3390/jcm5040048. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4850471/pdf/jcm-05-00048.pdf. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Uher R, Mors O, Hauser J, et al. Modifications in physique weight throughout pharmacological remedy of melancholy. The Worldwide Journal of Neuropsychopharmacology. 2010;14(03):367-375. doi:10.1017/s1461145710000933. https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/20716398/. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Shi Z, Atlantis E, Taylor AW, et al. SSRI antidepressant use potentiates weight acquire within the context of unhealthy life: Outcomes from a 4-year Australian follow-up examine. BMJ Open. 2017;7(8). doi:10.1136/bmjopen-2017-016224. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC5629701/. Accessed March 1, 2023.
- Escitalopram. MedlinePlus. https://medlineplus.gov/druginfo/meds/a603005.html. Accessed March 1, 2023.
Talkspace articles are written by skilled psychological health-wellness contributors; they’re grounded in scientific analysis and evidence-based practices. Articles are extensively reviewed by our crew of medical specialists (therapists and psychiatrists of assorted specialties) to make sure content material is correct and on par with present business requirements.
Our objective at Talkspace is to supply essentially the most up-to-date, useful, and goal info on psychological health-related subjects with the intention to assist readers make knowledgeable choices.
Articles comprise trusted third-party sources which might be both straight linked to within the textual content or listed on the backside to take readers on to the supply.
Talkspace psychological well being companies
Handy and safe on-line remedy from the consolation of your house
Psychiatric remedy from a licensed prescriber
Relationship-centered remedy that connects you and your companion
Specialised on-line remedy for ages 13-17