Enchiladas are recognized in my household to be the last word consolation meals. I grew up all my life consuming them in quite a lot of alternative ways: crimson sauce, inexperienced chile, a tomatillo salsa model, avocado and even bitter cream. For my part, all enchiladas are worthy of consuming.
The primary time I made these refried bean hen enchiladas, certainly one of my besties and fellow meals bloggers, Sarah, and I devoured them after a protracted day of images and recipes. Our minds had been teetering on the verge of delusional and delirious, however our bellies had been happier than ever.
Again when Tony was enjoying baseball I’d make him turkey meatballs, wholesome hen parm, pepper jack and hen pasta, and naturally, these stunning enchiladas when he’d come residence from touring. As a result of he was an athlete I made positive that my recipes had been each satisfying, filling and engaging. Quick-forward. a few years and I’m nonetheless whipping up nourishing, scrumptious eats for him and our two kiddos!
These hen enchiladas are critically the proper consolation meals to feed the entire household or a bunch of associates. They’re freezer-friendly, too, so whip up a batch and luxuriate in any time.
Components in these wholesome hen enchiladas
These scrumptious hen enchiladas are straightforward to customise and are the proper approach to make use of up leftover hen. Right here’s every thing you’ll must make them:
- Selfmade enchilada sauce: that is probably the most thrilling a part of the recipe. Making your individual enchilada sauce is simpler than you possibly can think about. Simply tomato sauce, tomato paste, garlic, onion, hen broth (or vegetarian broth), apple cider vinegar, and some spices. You’ll be making it repeatedly! And finest but, you may make it when you’re cooking your hen (if want be) so that you get two issues accomplished directly.
- Hen: you’ll add cooked, shredded hen straight to the enchiladas, so that is the proper approach to make use of up any leftovers! Get all of our suggestions for cooking good hen right here, and shredding it right here. You too can use a rotisserie hen in the event you’d like.
- Refried beans: I really like, love, love utilizing refried beans in my enchilada recipes due to the added vitamin, fiber and protein. Plus it makes the enchiladas actually soften in your mouth. Black bean refried beans are a favourite.
- Cheese: I didn’t go loopy with the quantity of cheese on this recipe. Frankly, it isn’t obligatory due to the fantastic creamy beans and flavorful enchilada sauce.
- Tortillas: I really like to make use of tender corn tortillas, however be happy to make use of any tortillas you’d like!
- To garnish: add some avocado, contemporary cilantro and diced onion on prime for the proper chunk each time.
Easy ingredient swaps
As a result of these hen enchiladas use loads of easy elements, they’re additionally straightforward to customise!
- Go vegetarian: be happy to depart out the hen and add a can of black beans and even some roasted veggies. You’ll wish to test and ensure your refried beans are additionally vegetarian.
- Add veggies: I like to recommend including the next: zucchini, bell pepper, corn, onion, cooked candy potato or butternut squash. I’d chorus from including greater than 1 cup of veggies so that you just keep away from overstuffing the enchiladas.
- Make them dairy free: use your favourite dairy free/vegan shredded cheese.
- Maintain them gluten free: you’ll want to use gluten free corn tortillas, or a unique gluten free tortilla (see a observe on tortillas under).
- Select your sauce: for ease, you too can use a 28 ounce can of your favourite enchilada sauce as a substitute of creating it your self.
Select the precise tortillas
As I discussed, I like to make use of corn tortillas for the flavour and straightforward rolling functionality. If you wish to use a unique kind of tortillas, maintain these notes in thoughts:
- For flour tortillas: chances are you’ll want to make use of 8-10 as a substitute of 12 and might want to barely enhance filling, cheese & sauce in every tortilla.
- For grain free tortillas: watch out with these as they might be more durable to roll relying on the model and what they’re made from.
Suggestions for assembling good hen enchiladas
Selfmade enchiladas can appear a bit intimidating with the filling, rolling, and so on. However they’re SO straightforward and scrumptious with a number of easy suggestions:
- Heat your tortillas. You are able to do this within the microwave for about 20 seconds so they’re simpler to roll. You’ll be able to splash a bit of water on them earlier than microwaving to make them extra pliable.
- Don’t overfill. Fill them with nearly 1/4 cup of the refried bean & hen combination in order that they keep collectively and don’t burst on the seams.
- Lay them appropriately. Bear in mind to put them seam-side down in order that the filling stays inside, and organize them tightly subsequent to one another in your pan to assist them keep collectively.
Can I make them forward of time?
Completely! I’ve included directions for the best way to freeze hen enchiladas under, however you too can assemble the enchiladas someday forward of time and retailer them coated within the fridge. Bake them for about 10-Quarter-hour longer when you’re able to cook dinner them, after which serve!
Find out how to make one of the best hen enchiladas
- Make your sauce. In a medium pot sauté your onion and garlic, stir within the spices, then add the tomato sauce, paste, and broth. Convey all of it to a boil then cut back the warmth and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes to thicken up. As soon as it’s prepared stir within the apple cider vinegar and add salt & pepper to style.
- Prep your pan. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with a bit of oil, then unfold 3/4 cup of the enchilada sauce on the underside of the pan.
- Assemble enchiladas. Heat your corn tortillas, then add refried beans, shredded hen, cheese and enchilada sauce to every one. Roll them up and place them seam-side down within the pan. Repeat for all the tortillas.
- Prime & bake. Pour the remainder of the enchilada sauce over the tortillas, sprinkle with the remaining cheese, and bake.
- Garnish & serve. Prime the enchiladas with contemporary avocado, cilantro & onion in the event you’d like, and add my well-known spicy cilantro jalapeño yogurt sauce to take them to the subsequent degree!
Two methods to freeze hen enchiladas
These straightforward hen enchiladas will be frozen two alternative ways for the proper meal prep dinner! They’re the proper meal to arrange for brand spanking new dad and mom or anybody that might use a house cooked meal. Right here’s the best way to freeze them:
- Bake first, then freeze. You’ll be able to both bake them first, then cool to room temperature, divide them in freezer secure containers after which freeze. Or you possibly can bake them, carry them to room temp, after which freeze the whole pan. Simply be sure you double wrap the pan so the enchiladas don’t dry out. That is assuming you might be freezing the whole pan. As soon as able to reheat, thaw it out. Then bake, coated at 350 levels F for 30-45 minutes or till heated by.
- Freeze earlier than baking: To freeze earlier than baking, merely assemble the enchiladas as written within the directions, then double wrap with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for as much as 3 months. As soon as able to bake, thaw out then bake in line with directions.
Extra tacos & enchiladas
Get all of our taco & enchilada recipes right here!
I hope you’re keen on these dreamy refried bean hen enchiladas! If you happen to make them you’ll want to go away a remark and a ranking so I understand how you appreciated them. Get pleasure from, xo!
Dreamy Refried Bean Hen Enchiladas with Selfmade Enchilada Sauce
Superb hen enchiladas with creamy refried beans, protein-packed hen, and a do-it-yourself enchilada sauce. This scrumptious, straightforward hen enchilada recipe is freezer-friendly and a crowd-pleasing dinner staple!
- For the enchilada sauce:
small white onion, very finely minced or grated
can tomato sauce
apple cider vinegar
- Salt, to style
- For the enchiladas:
cooked shredded hen (breast or thighs work nice!)
can refried beans (I like to make use of refried black beans for finest taste)
shredded colby jack or Mexican cheese, divided
shredded pepper jack cheese
tender corn tortillas
- To garnish:
avocado, sliced or diced
cup contemporary chopped cilantro
chopped crimson onion or diced inexperienced onion
Put together the enchilada sauce by heating oil in a medium pot over medium excessive warmth. Add in garlic and onions and sauté for five minutes or till onions change into translucent. Add in chili powder, cumin, oregano and cayenne pepper and stir for 30 seconds to permit the spices to cook dinner a bit. Stir in tomato sauce, broth, tomato paste then carry to a boil. Cut back warmth to a medium low and simmer for about 15-20 minutes. Lastly stir in apple cider vinegar, then add salt and pepper to style. **NOTE: in the event you do not wish to use do-it-yourself enchilada sauce, be happy to make use of 1 (28 ounce) can of crimson enchilada sauce.
Preheat oven to 350 levels F. Grease a 9×13 inch pan with a bit of olive oil or avocado oil.
Start by spreading ¾ cup of enchilada sauce on the underside of a 9×13 inch baking pan.
Subsequent, heat up your tortillas so they’re simpler to roll and to keep away from them breaking: I wish to microwave mine for 15 seconds on a plate then cowl them with a heat towel so that they keep heat. Please observe you will need to use tender corn tortillas, these are those that don’t simply break!
Assemble enchiladas: place 2 tablespoons of refried beans in a corn tortilla, then prime with a number of tablespoons of shredded hen, 1 heaping tablespoon of colby jack cheese and a couple of tablespoons of enchilada sauce. Roll tortillas up and place seam aspect down in pan. Repeat with remaining tortillas.
Subsequent pour remaining enchilada sauce excessive of the tortillas and sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup of shredded colby jack and 1/2 cup of shredded pepper jack cheese. Bake for 25-Half-hour. Take away from oven and permit to chill for five minutes earlier than serving.
Garnish with avocado, cilantro, crimson or inexperienced onion, if desired. Makes 5 servings, 2 enchiladas every. I additionally love serving this with my spicy cilantro jalapeno yogurt sauce and it makes the recipe further fairly, too! Just a bit drizzle on prime actually take it to the subsequent degree, but it surely’s as much as you.
If you happen to do not wish to make your individual enchilada sauce, be happy to make use of 1 (28 ounce) can of crimson enchilada sauce.
See the total submit for simple methods to customise your enchiladas, plus two methods to freeze them for later!
Servings: 5 servings
Serving measurement: 2 enchiladas
This submit was initially printed on September twenty third, 2015, and republished on February twentieth, 2022.