Through the years I’ve carried out my share of mountain climbing within the rain. Aside from the 5 years I lived within the Pacific Northwest, on the 2017 Bearfoot Idea group journey to Alaska, we spent 8 strong days backpacking within the rain. Mountain climbing within the rain and staying snug is a little bit of an artwork, nevertheless it all begins with having the proper gear.
That can assist you keep dry in no matter situations chances are you’ll face, we put collectively this record of the perfect rain jackets for ladies which have withstood the check of the path by the Bearfoot Idea workforce. On the very backside, we speak concerning the supplies and technical options of mountain climbing rain jackets that can assist you decide precisely what you want. We hope the data right here helps you get probably the most to your cash whereas guaranteeing you keep dry whilst you hike.
Listed below are the perfect ladies’s rain jackets to maintain you dry it doesn’t matter what journey you’re on.
Finest Ladies’s Rain Jackets At A Look
Arc’teryx Beta AR Ladies’s Rain Jacket
Finest Rain Jacket for Downpours
- Weight: 13.2 ounces
- Extremely waterproof and windproof with 3-layer Gortex safety
- Pit-zips to maintain the air flowing
- Weatherproof zippers
- Adjustable hem wire to maintain chilly air out on chilly, windy days
- MSRP: $599
Test Worth: REI | Backcountry
Nice for: mountain climbing in downpours, folks dwelling in wet climates
Execs: most waterproof jacket on the record, “Lifetime of product” guarantee, very sturdy
Cons: costly funding, heavier and bulkier than different jackets
Arc’teryx is likely one of the costlier outside manufacturers, and for years I questioned in the event that they had been definitely worth the worth. Then proper earlier than my Alaska backpacking journey the place I wanted to be ready for the weather, I discovered the Arc’teryx Beta AR rain jacket for 30% off at REI and determined to attempt it out. After mountain climbing by means of downpours 8 of 10 days on that backpacking journey, I’m so glad I made the funding. I by no means felt clammy, damp, or chilly sporting the Beta rain jacket and the waterproof zippers prevented water from seeping in. It stored me utterly dry, the jacket itself dried rapidly, and the pit zips had been important for avoiding feeling sweaty and clammy. This jacket additionally holds up towards the wind very well.
If you reside within the PNW or one other moist, chilly local weather or have a backpacking journey the place the climate is a serious concern and wish one thing that may maintain up towards a lot of rain and wind, this jacket is an superior alternative. For drier climates, lugging this jacket round is likely to be a bit overkill, relying on the season. I took it on a backpacking journey within the Sierras final summer season and it was positively greater than I wanted for the occasional sprinkle for the reason that Beta jacket is stiffer and doesn’t pack down in addition to extra light-weight choices.
General, I’m so glad to have made the funding on this rain jacket and it’s my go-to for mountain climbing within the PNW and different wet climates, nevertheless it’s not the rain jacket I pack for each outside journey.
Out of doors Analysis Ladies’s Helium Rain Jacket
Finest Ultralight Rain Jacket for Backpacking
- Weight: 5.5 ounces
- No-frills elastic cuffs
- Constructed with a few of the highest know-how with Pertex Protect+ 2.5-layer nylon.
- Water-repellent entrance zipper
- Adjustable hood
- MSRP: $159
Test Worth: Out of doors Analysis | REI | Backcountry
Nice for: ultralight backpacking, tossing in your daypack or automotive for emergencies
Execs: packs right down to pocket-size, one of the crucial light-weight jackets on our record, breathable
Cons: no hand pockets, not a ton of additional options
This Out of doors Analysis Helium Rain Jacket is nice for backpackers and hikers who wish to shed weight from their pack. Bearfoot Idea’s former neighborhood supervisor, Kim, packed this rain jacket on her Pacific Crest Path thru-hike and liked the way it packed down tremendous small and held up towards the weather. Weighing lower than 6 ounces, it’s the most light-weight rain jacket available on the market! That is additionally an ideal rain jacket choice to toss in your mountain climbing daypack for emergencies because it weighs subsequent to nothing.
Nevertheless, the largest draw back of this jacket is there are not any facet pockets, so in case you are somebody who likes to carry your keys, telephone, or pockets in your pocket whilst you’re mountain climbing or taking a stroll within the rain, this will not be the jacket for you.
REI Rainier Ladies’s Rain Jacket
Finest Finances-Pleasant Rain Jacket
- Weight: 11.4 ounces
- Packs into its personal zipper
- Bluesign® accredited material, which means its manufacturing has the bottom doable impression on folks and the setting
- Windproof to 60 mph
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Sealed seams to forestall leakage
- MSRP: $89.95
Test Worth: REI
Nice for: funds buys, summer season journeys, light-weight backpacking, mountain climbing, and tenting
Execs: versatile for a lot of outside adventures, holds up in windy situations
Cons: doesn’t maintain up in heavy rain, not properly vented
The REI Rainier Ladies’s Rain Jacket affords incredible worth at a funds worth! At lower than $90, it’s probably the greatest rain jackets for ladies on a funds and is the rain jacket that Linda, Bearfoot Idea’s Director of Operations, at present sports activities on wet day adventures. She’s been utilizing it on all her mountain climbing, tenting, and backpacking journeys since getting it final 12 months and completely loves it.
The Rainier Rain Jacket is light-weight and does an awesome job at repelling rain and blocking out wind. It has all of the options we search for in a rain jacket, like pit zips, an adjustable hood, and pockets in all the proper locations, plus it additionally comes at an awesome worth level. She loves this rain jacket a lot that she additionally purchased one for her husband for Christmas. You will discover the lads’s model right here.
Patagonia Torrentshell Ladies’s Rain Jacket
Eco-friendly Rain Jacket Choice
- Weight: 12.5 ounces
- 3-layer waterproof jacket that gives long-term efficiency
- Jacket stuffs into pocket and clips to your pack with a caribeaner
- Sturdy water repellent zippers
- Two-way adjustable hood
- MSRP: $149
Test Worth: Patagonia | REI | Backcountry
Nice for: folks seeking to purchase eco-friendly gear, windy situations, mountain climbing in downpours
Execs: deep pockets, Bluesign accredited material – constructed from recycled nylon waste, good wind resistance
Cons: stiff materials, runs small (really useful to order a dimension up)
We’re enormous followers of Patagonia at Bearfoot Idea, due to their sustainable enterprise practices and high-quality gear. So it’s no shock that the Patagonia Torrentshell made the record of the perfect ladies’s rain jackets. This light-weight rain jacket is made with sustainable, eco-friendly supplies, has an adjustable hood, and is available in a wide range of colours. This jacket holds up extraordinarily properly within the wind, preserving you not solely dry however heat.
Eddie Bauer Ladies’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket
Finest Light-weight Rain Jacket for Journey
- Weight: 8 ounces
- StormRepel Tremendous DWR
- 2.5-layer WeatherEdge® seam-sealed
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Pit zips
- MSRP: $99
Test Worth: Eddie Bauer
Nice for: journey, summer season use, light-weight backpacking
Execs: one of the crucial light-weight jacket choices, adjustable hood
Cons: material makes a crinkly noise when sporting
Linda, BFT’s Director, wore the Eddie Bauer Ladies’s Cloud Cap Rain Jacket on a visit to Yosemite Nationwide Park and had an opportunity to try it out on the Mist Path and in a summer season thunderstorm. The decision? It’s the right ultralightweight rain shell, particularly in heat climate and on backpacking journeys the place you don’t wish to carry any additional weight. She additionally wore this rain jacket in Hawaii and loves that it’s stylish sufficient to put on round city in addition to on the mountain climbing trails.
Because it packs down so small and is so gentle, it’s simple to throw in your daypack or journey bag so that you’re ready in case you get caught in a day downpour. It has pit-zips for air flow and an adjustable hood – two options we contemplate important for any rain jacket, and it folds up small into the right-hand pocket making it simple to convey alongside on any journey.
Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Ladies’s Rain Shell
Most Sturdy Rain Jacket
- Weight: 8.7 ounces
- Constructed from Black Diamond’s proprietary BD.Dry 2.5 layer material
- Pit zips
- Adjustable hood
- Waterproof coated entrance zipper
- Packs into hand pocket
- MSRP: $159
Test Worth: REI | Black Diamond | Backcountry
Nice for: outside sports activities like biking and climbing, heavy rain, light-weight backpacking
Execs: extraordinarily sturdy material, breathable, one of the crucial light-weight jacket choices
Cons: outsized hood (when you’re not utilizing it for biking), stiff material
You would possibly know Black Diamond from their climbing or backcountry ski gear, however in addition they make incredible ladies’s outside attire. This Black Diamond Stormline Stretch Ladies’s Rain Shell will stand as much as no matter nature throws at it.
This rain jacket has comparable options to most of the different jackets on this record and is available in a wide range of colours. What units the Stormline other than the opposite rain jackets on our record is that this jacket is tailor-made for outside sports activities like climbing and biking with ultra-stretchy material for added mobility and a climbing-helmet-compatible hood. If you would like a ladies’s rain jacket that may sustain with all of your outside sports activities, that is the one.
North Face Enterprise 2 Ladies’s Rain Jacket
Finest Worth Rain Jacket
- Weight: 10.6 ounces
- 2.5 layer waterproof and windproof material
- Pit zips
- Packs into hand pocket
- Absolutely taped seams
- Worth: $98.95
Test worth: REI | Backcountry | Moosejaw
Nice for: brief hikes, dry climates
Execs: a tried and examined mannequin that has been round for over a decade, nice worth for worth
Cons: can really feel sticky if mountain climbing for prolonged durations of time in it
One other budget-friendly shell on this record of the perfect rain jackets for ladies is the North Face Enterprise 2. This was my rain jacket earlier than I upgraded to the Arc’teryx, and I discovered it to be efficient, snug, and sturdy. It’s an awesome rain jacket alternative for shorter outings the place you would possibly encounter scattered showers or backpacking journeys in drier climates the place climate isn’t an enormous concern. It packs down tremendous small, is light-weight, and has a stretchier texture that I discover fairly snug in comparison with different rain jackets.
This jacket doesn’t present a lot wind safety or heat and I wouldn’t depend on it for prolonged downpours or tremendous moist climates. If I hike for lengthy durations of time on this jacket, I can begin to really feel sticky, nevertheless it does have pit zips which helps regulate temperature. Be warned, this jacket does are inclined to run small so I like to recommend sizing up to make sure a roomy slot in case you wish to layer with base layers beneath.
Elements to Contemplating When Shopping for a New Rain Jacket
Is an costly rain jacket value it?
The worth of a rain jacket does make a distinction since you’ll get greater high quality merchandise which have gone by means of extra testing, analysis, and improvement to make sure they work properly. Whereas a decrease or mid-priced mountain climbing raincoat will nonetheless get the job carried out, it usually comes at the price of some consolation, whether or not that’s a sturdy Gore-tex outer layer or breathability and air flow on the within that may reduce sweating.
Though it’s robust to spend a bigger chunk of change on a chunk of substances, it’s usually definitely worth the cash and might prevent from having to switch that merchandise a number of occasions sooner or later. Consider it as an funding that may final you for a few years, reasonably than an overpriced piece of substances. On this case, it’s value it.
In the event you’re on a funds, select a top quality mid-priced raincoat – the REI Rainier Rain Jacket is a superb possibility – that has the options you want and use most frequently. Contemplate the actions you do most frequently and select a light-weight rain jacket that fits your mountain climbing model. Chances are high you’ll be able to resell it if it’s nonetheless in good situation and when you’ll want to improve you’ll know precisely what to purchase.
One other nice possibility to save cash is to purchase gently used outside gear.
Ought to a mountain climbing rain jacket be waterproof or waterproof?
In case you are investing in a sturdy and efficient rain jacket that may stand as much as the wind and rain, you’ll need one thing that’s waterproof. Whereas waterproof raincoats are good for gentle wind and rain, they don’t have as many technical components and the material gained’t do you a lot good in a storm. A lightweight windbreaker is an effective instance of a waterproof jacket and you’ll think about how that might fare when you get caught in an surprising thunderstorm on the path (spoiler: not properly).
How ought to a rain jacket for mountain climbing match?
A mountain climbing rain jacket ought to match unfastened sufficient that you would be able to add additional layers beneath and have a superb vary of movement that lets you transfer your arms round comfortably. It must also match cosy sufficient so that you don’t have an excessive amount of additional material getting in the best way as you might be mountain climbing.
What supplies are finest for a mountain climbing raincoat?
In the event you’ve ever been for a hike within the rain, you then would possibly know the way uncomfortable and distracting it’s to really feel moist from the rain whereas additionally struggling by means of that sticky feeling of your jacket clinging to your pores and skin out of your sweat. A very good raincoat will assist maintain you dry by preserving moisture out from the skin whereas additionally permitting sweat or different water vapors from the within to evaporate.
Listed below are the most typical waterproof materials you’ll discover when selecting a mountain climbing raincoat.
- Gor-Tex: We regularly point out Gore-Tex right here at Bearfoot Idea as a result of it’s a preferred technical material that’s generally utilized in waterproof outside gear. Gore-Tex is an artificial, waterproof material that retains you dry within the rain or snow. Its light-weight development makes merchandise with Gore-Tex nice for breathability and air flow so that you gained’t get overheated if you’re scorching on a wet hike. A raincoat with Gore-Tex is a sturdy, waterproof possibility that helps maintain you cool and dry.
- Sturdy Water Repellent (DWR): DWR is an additional coating that gear corporations add to mountain climbing raincoats that permit them to actually repel water from the jacket. As water hits the floor of the material it beads up and rolls proper off reasonably than getting absorbed or evaporating. DWR positively retains you dry, nevertheless, it may well make a raincoat barely much less breathable. It additionally requires a little bit of maintenance as a result of the end can put on off over time, so chances are you’ll must reapply a brand new DWR coating occasionally. Both means, DWR is a superb possibility for staying dry and infrequently comes at a lower cost than Gore-Tex.
There are a number of different supplies that main outside manufacturers are utilizing, reminiscent of DryVent, eVent, and many others, usually with proprietary know-how, however Gore-Tex and DWR are probably the most generally utilized in the perfect rain jackets for ladies.
Why do mountain climbing raincoats have a number of layers?
Most raincoats have a 2, 2.5, or 3 layer development to them that sandwiches the a number of completely different layers or membranes of material collectively to create a water-proof jacket. Right here’s a fast breakdown of the three sorts that may show you how to navigate the product description and the value if you end up selecting a mountain climbing raincoat.
- Midweight 2 Layer Rain Jacket: The midweight 2 layer raincoat is a extra budget-friendly possibility that normally prices underneath $100. It’s the least technical model and has a mesh liner, so that they are usually breathable, however don’t have as strong of waterproofing. It’s good for sporting round city and shorter hikes the place it would rain. (Instance: North Face Enterprise Rain Jacket)
- Midweight 2.5 Layer Rain Jacket: The mid-range 2.5 layer raincoat is a greater waterproof possibility and barely much less breathable than a 2 layer. Nevertheless, it’s a sensible choice for longer wet hikes and backpacking journeys. These rain jackets are light-weight and compact with extra technical options like pit zips and DWR. 2.5 layer rain jackets can price over $100. (Instance: Out of doors Analysis Helium Rain Jacket)
- 3 Layer Rain Jacket: Probably the most sturdy and technical possibility is the three layer raincoat, also referred to as a hardshell, which affords final safety, usually in a light-weight bundle. This can be a nice possibility for backcountry and harsh climates and might price $150-$300+. (Instance: Patagonia Torrentshell)
What are the vital options of girls’s rain jackets?
- Adjustable Hood: Having a superb hood to guard your face and eyes from the weather is a crucial function of a mountain climbing rain jacket. Search for one that’s adjustable and has a brim to protect your eyes from wind and rain.
- Armpit Vents: This can be a MUST for me with any rain jacket I purchase. When there’s an excessive amount of humidity within the air for simply your mountain climbing raincoat to do the trick, strategically positioned vents, particularly across the armpits, will likely be your new finest associates. Pit vents launch heat air, and a few even have vents within the hood or the pocket linings.
- Adjustability drawcords: If you end up out in gale power wind and rain, and even one thing rather less intense, adjustable drawcords within the hem or waist of your raincoat will cinch within the material to assist maintain the weather out.
- Sealed Zippers: Zippers are locations the place moisture can seep into the within of your rain jacket. Bonded seams on the zippers will assist maintain the rain out, and issues like laminated zippers and a zipper storage (a small flap of material to cowl the zipper when zipped) will maintain you dry.
What’s your favourite light-weight rain jacket for mountain climbing? Inform us within the feedback under!