This wholesome Floor Turkey Enchilada recipe is a fast and straightforward variation on a Mexican basic! This hearty, flavorful dish has daring genuine flavors however is prepared from begin to end in 45 minutes!
Why We Love This Recipe For Floor Turkey Enchiladas
If you happen to’ve been following alongside for some time, you recognize that we love enchiladas. And whereas we will’t put our finger on the place this love affair started, we all know now we have all the time liked them.
Possibly it started throughout childhood since my mother’s aspect of the household is from West Texas. And this meant that when Grandma Ginger was round, she would whip up a selection of Tex Mex recipes stuffed with tacos, guacamole, and enchiladas!
And this wholesome floor turkey enchilada dish is the right recipe so as to add to your arsenal of Mexican Meals recipes. It’s a cinch to whip up and is bursting with daring, genuine flavors that come collectively in simply over an hour.
Creamy lean floor turkey is wrapped in smooth corn tortillas and enveloped in a wealthy, spicy crimson enchilada sauce, after which baked till golden-brown and effervescent. Serve with refried beans and Mexican coleslaw for a easy, scrumptious, and comforting Mexican-inspired dinner that’s excellent for busy weeknights when the household is craving a hearty and filling meal.
Key Components for These Turkey Enchiladas
Corn tortillas are conventional for enchiladas and have the very best texture and style. Search for 5 ½ to 6-inch corn tortillas with flour blended into them. These are simpler to roll, and don’t break up or crack. La Tortilla Manufacturing unit or Maria and Ricardo’s are two widespread manufacturers that make them.
I don’t suggest flour tortillas as a result of they have a tendency to get gummy as soon as they’re baked with the sauce.
Use your favourite model of lean (minimal 90%) floor turkey. If you happen to’d want to make use of floor rooster or beef, be happy to swap in these meats as an alternative.
We suggest utilizing a diced candy onion however be happy to make use of white.
Be at liberty to make your individual Enchilada Sauce from scratch, or to save lots of time, use your favourite store-bought model. Our favourite store-bought model is Hatch Purple Gentle Enchilada Sauce, or medium if your loved ones likes spice if you will discover it. We discover that it has the very best taste, is natural, and is made with the cleanest components.
Canned inexperienced chiles are a reasonable and straightforward method so as to add daring taste to the turkey combination. If you happen to’d want so as to add extra warmth to this dish, be happy to substitute in canned jalapeños; be sure you drain and chop earlier than including to the combination.
Greek yogurt provides a protein-packed creamy texture to the turkey combination. Be at liberty to make use of common or low-fat plain Greek yogurt.
Mexican Cheese Mix
To avoid wasting time, be happy to make use of a pre-shredded Mexican cheese mix. Or for those who’d want contemporary as potential, be happy to shred blocks of cheddar and Monterey Jack, and sprinkle in 2 tablespoons of taco seasoning combine over the freshly shredded cheese.
- Garlic Powder
- Chili Powder
Step By Step Directions To Make Floor Turkey Enchiladas
Step 1: Prepare dinner Turkey and Onions
In a big non-stick skillet over medium-high warmth, warmth oil. Add in onion and turkey, and prepare dinner till turkey is cooked by, and onion is smooth and brown.
Step 2: Season Turkey
Sprinkle turkey with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder, and salt. Prepare dinner till spices are aromatic. Add in tomato paste and stir till the spices and tomato evenly coat the turkey. Take away from warmth.
Step 3: Stir in Chiles and Yogurt
To the turkey combination, stir in inexperienced chiles and Greek yogurt. Put aside.
Step 4: Put together Baking Dish and Heat Tortillas
Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Put aside. Wrap the tortillas in paper towels and microwave till heat and versatile.
Step 5: Put together Casserole Dish
Unfold enchilada sauce within the backside of the ready casserole dish.
Step 6: Fill Tortillas
Fill warmed tortillas with turkey combination and a heaping tablespoon of cheese. Roll and set into casserole dish. Repeat till all tortillas are crammed and within the casserole dish.
Step 7: Bake Enchiladas
Pour remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas and high with remaining cheese. Bake till scorching and cheese is melted and effervescent.
Step 8: Garnish
Serve and garnish with cilantro, tomato, and crimson onion if desired.
FAQs and Professional Suggestions
Retailer any leftover floor turkey enchiladas in an hermetic container within the fridge for as much as 4 days.
These wholesome turkey enchiladas are an excellent freezer-friendly dish! To freeze, assemble within the baking dish, leaving off the sauce and cheese. Cowl with plastic wrap and foil and freeze for as much as 2 months.
Additionally, be happy to freeze the sauce in a separate container. When prepared to make use of, thaw the day earlier than baking.
When able to bake, take away from the freezer, discard plastic wrap, pour on the sauce. Cowl with foil. Bake at 350°F till an instant-read thermometer registers 150°F when inserted into the middle of the enchiladas, about 1 hour. Take away foil and high with cheese and bake till melted and effervescent scorching, about 12 minutes longer.
One of the best tortillas to make use of to make enchiladas are corn and wheat flour mix. This corn-wheat flour mix permits the tortillas to be smooth sufficient to roll with out cooking in oil and didn’t have an disagreeable slimy texture when baked with sauce and filling.
Our private favourite is the GMO-free corn and flour mix tortillas by La Tortilla Manufacturing unit or Maria and Ricardo’s; nonetheless, be happy to make use of 100% corn tortillas to create a gluten-free recipe however bear in mind corn tortillas are very delicate and may break up or collapse as they bake.
Sure, the tortillas might be warmed within the oven. Merely wrap a stack in foil and place it in a preheated oven for quarter-hour.
Enchiladas will grow to be soggy if made forward, rolled, and positioned within the sauce as they may soak up an excessive amount of of the liquid, which is able to trigger them to collapse and grow to be soggy. In our expertise, it’s best to roll and place in a ready casserole dish proper earlier than baking. Flour tortillas additionally make soggy enchiladas as a result of they soak up the sauce. We additionally suggest that the dish be baked and not using a foil cowl in order that the sides of the tortillas grow to be crispy.
Further Recipes To Strive
- Layered Hen Enchilada Casserole is a snap to make with a gluten-free model as effectively, so scrumptious, kid-friendly, and prepared in simply 40 minutes!
- This Wholesome Zucchini Casserole is a simple gluten-free, low-carb recipe that’s an ideal potluck or summer time entertaining recipe and that requires solely quarter-hour of hands-on prep!
- Mexican Casserole is a hearty, satisfying consolation meals dish that’s an excellent make-ahead dinner for these busy nights!
- These Hen Taco Sloppy Joes are a wholesome, family-pleasing dinner prepared in beneath half-hour! This straightforward recipe takes the basic flavors of a spicy southwest floor rooster taco and transforms it right into a messy-saucy consolation meals sandwich.
- Wholesome Turkey Chili with Pinto Beans is a selfmade dish with all of the flavors of a basic chili however has much less saturated fats. Plus, this hearty, cozy, wintertime meal might be on the desk in simply 40 minutes.
- This festive Taco Tuesday, family-friendly weeknight dinner is prepared in simply 20 minutes! Simple Floor Hen Tacos with poblano peppers are a tasty, easy, kid-friendly meal that the entire household will love!
- Gradual Cooker Bolognese is an ideal freezer-friendly meal that’s a more healthy model of the basic. Made with lean floor turkey this dish doesn’t sacrifice any of that incredible cooked-all-day Bolognese taste!
- Turkey Meatloaf is a lean and wholesome recipe that’s nutritious, juicy, and topped with a flavorful candy, and tangy glaze. Plus, any leftovers make scrumptious meatloaf sandwiches that the entire household will love!
Thanks a lot for studying. In case you are new right here, it’s your decision to enroll in my free weekly electronic mail publication for wholesome recipes delivered proper to your inbox. Or comply with me on Instagram. If you happen to make these recipes, please come again and go away a star score and assessment! It is extremely appreciated. Blissful Cooking! ~Katie
Our wholesome Floor Turkey Enchiladas are a cinch to place collectively and style wonderful! The creamy floor turkey filling is wrapped up in smooth corn tortillas and enveloped in wealthy spicy crimson enchilada sauce. One of the best half is, these straightforward tacky enchiladas have genuine style in solely 45 minutes making them weeknight quick!
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil or natural canola oil
- 1 massive onion, finely chopped
- 1 pound floor turkey
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon floor cumin
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 7-ounce can diced inexperienced chiles or jalapenos
- ½ cup plain non-fat Greek yogurt
- 10 corn tortillas, ideally corn and flour mix* see notice
- 1 8-ounce bag shredded Mexican cheese mix, divided
- 1 15-ounce can (or jar) enchilada sauce
- Chopped contemporary cilantro, tomato and crimson onion for garnish, optionally available
- Warmth oil in a big non-stick skillet over medium excessive warmth. Add onion and turkey and prepare dinner, breaking apart the turkey with a picket spoon, stirring typically, till the turkey is cooked by, and the onions are smooth and brown, 6 to 10 minutes.
- Sprinkle with chili powder, cumin, garlic powder and salt. Prepare dinner, stirring till the spices are aromatic, about 1 minute. Stir in tomato paste and prepare dinner, stirring till the spices and tomato evenly coat the turkey. Take away from the warmth.
- Stir inexperienced chiles and Greek yogurt into the turkey combination. Put aside.
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Coat a 9 by 13-inch casserole dish with cooking spray. Wrap the tortillas in paper towels and microwave till heat and versatile, about two bursts of 25 seconds every.
- Unfold ½ cup enchilada sauce within the backside of the ready casserole dish. Put aside 1 cup (4 ounces) of cheese for the highest of the casserole.
- Fill every tortilla with 1/3 cup turkey combination and 1 heaping tablespoon of cheese, roll after which set within the casserole dish, seam-side down. Repeat with the remaining filling, cheese and tortillas.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the enchiladas. Prime with the reserved 1 cup of cheese and bake till the enchiladas are scorching and the cheese is melted, about 25 minutes.
- Serve enchiladas topped with cilantro, tomato and crimson onion if desired.
Ingredient Word: Search for corn tortillas which have flour blended into them for the very best texture and style. They’re simpler to roll and don’t break up like corn tortillas they usually don’t get slimy like flour tortillas. La Tortilla Manufacturing unit and Maria and Ricardo’s are two widespread manufacturers who make them.
Tip: If you happen to can not get all 10 of the enchiladas into the casserole dish aspect by aspect, you may lay two of them lengthwise on the aspect of the casserole dish.
Make Forward: To make these prematurely, I counsel making the filling solely, however don’t roll the enchiladas as a result of the tortillas will begin to break down and break up open.
Nevertheless, you may freeze them! Assemble them however don’t add the sauce or cheese on high. (You’ll be able to freeze the sauce in a separate container and thaw the sauce a day earlier than baking.) Cowl with plastic wrap and foil and freeze as much as 2 months. To bake, take away the frozen enchiladas from the freezer. Discard plastic wrap and pour on the sauce. Cowl with foil. Bake at 350°F till an prompt learn thermometer registers 150°F when inserted into the middle of the enchiladas, about 1 hour. Take away foil and high with cheese and bake till melted and effervescent scorching, about 12 minutes longer.
- Serving Measurement: 2 enchiladas
- Energy: 510
- Sugar: 6 g
- Fats: 26 g
- Carbohydrates: 37 g
- Fiber: 9 g
- Protein: 36 g