This Hen Pozole Rojo Recipe is made with quite a lot of purple chilis for deep wealthy flavors, shredded hen and hominy. Every chunk boasts of genuine Mexican flavors for the proper comforting dinner recipe.
Love Mexican flavors in your hen soup? You may also like this Hen Tortilla Soup or make it creamy with my Creamy Hen Tortilla Soup – each of those are BOMB!
A Warming, Nourishing Mexican-Model Hen Soup
For those who’re a fan of Mexican meals, you’re going to like this recipe. And even in case you’re not, I extremely suggest giving it a strive. Hen Pozole Rojo is a really secure manner of venturing into a unique delicacies on your meals! There’s not a whole lot of spice (except you need to add it, after all!) and it options easy elements that you could find proper at your common grocery retailer.
Hen Pozole Rojo is a Mexican hen and hominy stew. And this recipe, like most genuine ones, options complete meals. There are not any hidden or funky elements right here…and that’s what makes it so scrumptious. I like nothing greater than a dish that comes collectively flawlessly with easy complete meals. Their flavors communicate for themselves and mix collectively with out needed processed merchandise.
This stew has perfectly-cooked pulled hen, my Home made Purple Enchilada Sauce [LINK], candy and nutty hominy, smoked paprika, and oregano. Plus, you’ll be able to add toppings on the finish to brighten up the dish!
Is Pozole Rojo Good for You?
This recipe is without doubt one of the good ones! Not solely is it fast and simple, nevertheless it’s additionally good for you. As I stated, there are not any hidden elements right here. I extremely suggest utilizing my do-it-yourself enchilada sauce for the perfect outcomes. Once you do that, you might be assured to know all the pieces that’s going into your stew! Plus, you’ll be able to brag that it’s 100% do-it-yourself!
There’s little or no fats on this recipe. Plus, it’s gluten-free. Hominy is a corn product, nonetheless. So please be aware of that in case you are following a Whole30, Paleo, or Keto eating regimen. Hominy tends to have a whole lot of carbs, however that doesn’t take away from the standard of the dish. It’s nonetheless full of protein from the hen and antioxidants from the purple chilis.
What Is Pozole Rojo Made Of?
The ingredient record is kind of easy! It’s best to be capable to discover the elements at your common market. Remember that the precise quantities are within the recipe card under.
For the Stew:
- Avocado Oil: I like utilizing avocado oil to sear meat. However you can too use sunflower oil or vegetable oil.
- Hen Breasts: Bone-in will provide you with the perfect taste. You may as well use legs and thighs. And even use an entire rotisserie hen and pull all of the meat off.
- Salt & Pepper
- Yellow Onion: White onion or purple onion would additionally work right here.
- Garlic: Deliver on the garlic! The recipe requires 8 cloves. For garlic lovers like myself, there may be completely no judgment if you wish to add extra!
- Hen Inventory: I like to recommend utilizing do-it-yourself hen inventory or low sodium so that you simply preserve the salt stage low for this dish. You need to have the ability to management the salt your self!
- Bay Leaves: Actually, this is likely to be the simplest manner so as to add taste to any soup or stew. 1-2 leaves are all you want.
- Home made Purple Enchilada Sauce [LINK]: For those who’re quick on time and also you don’t have any premade, it’s okay to purchase the sauce on the retailer. Attempt to discover one with simply the essential elements and, once more, not a loopy excessive quantity of sodium.
- Smoked Paprika: I LOVE this ingredient, particularly with wealthy and flavorful stews. It makes a giant distinction! For those who’re caught and you’ll’t discover smoked paprika, common paprika can also be okay to make use of.
- Oregano: You need to use dried or contemporary right here. I all the time have dried oregano readily available for soups and stews. It provides a fantastic herb taste!
- Sliced Avocado
- Shredded Cabbage
- Sliced Radishes
- Chopped Cilantro
- Lime Wedges
Hominy IS corn, nonetheless, it’s not the identical corn off the cob that you simply’re used to. Hominy is corn kernels which have been nixtamalized. Which means they’ve been soaked in a lye or lime answer after which rinsed a number of instances. This course of removes the hulls and adjustments the feel of the kernel.
Imagine it or not, this stripping course of really does enhance the dietary worth of the corn. The nutritional vitamins and vitamins that hominy has are extra simply absorbed within the physique as a result of the hull has been eliminated.
Hominy does style like corn nevertheless it has a extra developed taste. It’s a bit candy, earthy, and nutty. It resembles the flavour of corn tortillas or masa with its richness and depth of taste.
The way to Make Hen Pozole Rojo
Right here’s the right way to make this easy stew. Your home goes to odor wonderful and also you’ll have a scrumptious dinner in about an hour.
First, sear the hen breasts. Searing meat provides a ton of taste. I don’t recommend skipping this step! Do that proper within the dutch oven that you simply’re going to cook dinner the stew in.
Take away the hen from the pan and add the onions and garlic. You need to “sweat” the onions and garlic. Which means that they are going to launch their pure juices whereas cooking and begin to get smooth and tender. After they do that, combine them round in order that the moisture picks up any of the leftover bits of hen from searing. It’s one other manner so as to add extra taste!
Subsequent, add hen inventory, water, and the hen breasts again to the pot. Once more, you’ll be able to fire up the inventory a bit bit to scrub the underside of the pan and blend the flavors and seasonings. Now let the hen cook dinner within the inventory for about Quarter-hour.
When the hen is cooked, take away it from the pot. Then shred with two forks. Then, put the hen again into the dutch oven.
Add the remainder of the elements. Add the enchilada sauce, hominy, smoked paprika, and oregano to the dutch oven.
Simmer for half-hour. I like to recommend masking the dutch oven in order that not one of the liquid evaporates.
Serve the stew instantly and garnish. You possibly can garnish with avocado, sliced cabbage, cilantro, and sliced radishes in case you’d like.
Right here are some things to bear in mind when making Hen Pozole Rojo.
- Don’t neglect to rinse the hominy. Hominy is soaked in an alkali answer that’s thick and a bit gooey. You’ll need to rinse the kernels properly earlier than placing them into the stew.
- Bone-in meat can have the perfect taste. Simply make it possible for no bones get tossed into the soup with the hen!
- I extremely suggest garnishing this stew. This can be a nice alternative so as to add taste and increase those which might be already within the soup. For instance, contemporary lime juice works wonders in relation to elevating flavors.
What to Serve with Hen Pozole Rojo
I can’t emphasize sufficient how a lot I like including the garnishes to this stew! However there are additionally a number of different issues that pair very well with this dish.
- Tortilla Chips or Corn Chips: This can be a smart way so as to add a bit crunch. Throwing in a facet of Home made Guacamole could be scrumptious, too!
- Contemporary Salads: Soup and Salad Evening anybody?! You possibly can serve this stew alongside a contemporary salad like my Chili Lime Grilled Corn Salad or Mexican Quinoa Salad.
- Cornbread: It tastes wonderful once you dip the bread into the stew.
- Rice or Pasta: You need to use rice or pasta shells as a base and put the stew on prime!
The way to Retailer and Reheat the Leftovers
This stew tastes even higher the following day! I extremely suggest making a giant batch and protecting some for leftovers.
Merely retailer the stew in an air-tight container within the fridge for as much as 5 days. Then reheat within the microwave or on the stovetop. For those who use the microwave, I like to recommend masking it with a paper towel so the stew doesn’t splatter in every single place!
Does This Soup Freeze Nicely?
You may as well freeze Pozole Rojo. In doing so I like to make use of gallon-sized freezer luggage. I then lay them flat within the freezer so that they don’t take up as a lot room.
Simply just be sure you thaw the evening earlier than you need to eat the soup. Then it’s a breeze to reheat within the dutch oven.
Hen Pozole Rojo is a Mexican stew with hen, hominy, and purple chilis. The stew is easy and has unimaginable genuine flavors. It’s prepared in an hour!
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- 2 lb. skinless hen breast (bone-in will provide you with extra taste)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 massive yellow onion, diced
- 8 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups hen inventory
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 3 bay leaves
- 4 cups do-it-yourself purple enchilada sauce
- 30 oz. can hominy, rinsed and drained
- 3 teaspoons smoked paprika
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- salt to style
- Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, inexperienced onion, sliced inexperienced cabbage and lime wedges.
- Season each side of hen breast with salt and pepper.
- Warmth a big dutch oven to medium excessive warmth, add 2 tablespoons of avocado oil and hen breast. Sear all sides for 3-4 minutes till browned. As soon as browned take away and let relaxation on a plate.
- Instantly add onion and garlic to the pot and saute fro 3-4 minutes, till onions are translucent or barely browned.
- Add hen again to the pot together with hen inventory, water and bay leaves. Deliver to a boil and scale back to a simmer for 10-Quarter-hour or till hen is poached and cooked by.
- Take away hen from the pot and shred utilizing two forks. Add hen again to the pot together with hominy, do-it-yourself purple enchilada sauce, smoked paprika, oregano and salt to style. Stir to combine all the pieces collectively, cowl and simmer for half-hour.
- Serve. Garnish with sliced radish, avocado, inexperienced onion, sliced inexperienced cabbage and lime wedges.
Key phrases: pozole, pozole soup, mexican hen soup, mexican stew
Extra Hearty Soup Recipes
DON’T MISS A RECIPE ->
FACEBOOK | TWITTER | PINTEREST | BLOGLOVIN | INSTAGRAM