A 60-liter backpack is the candy spot for backpacking journeys 5 days in size or much less, together with packs within the 55-liter to 65-liter vary. This backpack quantity is giant sufficient to carry a sleeping bag, a one or two-person tent (or a hammock sleep system), additional garments, a backpacking range, water filtration gear, a hydration system or water bottles, and all the opposite private objects and nic-nacs that backpackers generally carry.
However there are some nuances to choosing a 60-liter backpack and a few advertising and marketing mumbo-jumbo that may sting you in the event you’re not conscious of it, as we clarify beneath. The satan is within the particulars as they are saying, so listed below are the small print that will help you decide a 60 liter backpack with the kind of storage you want.
Open and Closed Backpack Storage
It is very important perceive what sort of storage is included in that 60-liter quantity when shopping for a backpack and the stability between closed storage and open storage.
- Closed storage is protected against the weather (mud, rain) and often contains the pack’s primary compartment, zippered pockets within the high lid if it has one, and hip belt pockets. When including up the amount of the primary compartment, producers embody the amount as much as the highest of the body, however don’t embody the unfastened material above it referred to as an extension collar, which may present a number of extra liters of storage.
- Open storage contains all of the pockets, often on the aspect or entrance of the backpack which might be open on high for ease of entry however don’t supply any climate safety. Many individuals carry a rain jacket or sweater, water bottles, a couple of snacks, and a moist water filter of their pack’s open pockets so that they don’t must cease and unpack once they want one thing.
How Backpack Producers Measure Pack Quantity
Most mainstream backpack producers similar to Osprey, Gregory, Granite Gear, Deuter, and REI solely rely closed storage once they add up the storage quantity of a backpack. For instance, in the event you purchase an Osprey Exos 58 backpack, it should have 58 liters of closed storage. Nonetheless, there’s some variation to pack quantity relying on the torso size you purchase. For instance, the Osprey Exos 58 in a dimension small has 55 liters of closed storage, the scale medium has 58 liters, and the scale giant has 61 liters. When there are a number of torso lengths out there, most producers cite the amount or the medium dimension backpack. None of those producers rely the open pockets of their quantity totals.
Different backpack producers, most notably the smaller cottage and ultralight backpack producers rely the closed and the open storage of their backpacks when citing their complete quantity. For instance, the Gossamer Gear Mariposa 60 backpack (in a dimension medium) has 60 liters of storage together with 36 liters of closed storage and 24 liters of open storage. That’s a major discount within the quantity of closed storage, which has ramifications for a way a lot you may match into closed storage and the kind of climate situations that the Mariposa is finest fitted to, whether or not you need to use a rain cowl to guard objects within the open pockets from rain or dry luggage, and the area out there to retailer bigger objects like an artificial insulated sleeping bag vs one which’s insulated with down and subsequently way more compressible.
Strapping Gear on the Exterior of a Backpack
There’s one other issue that may affect the backpack dimension you want and that’s the capability to strap cumbersome objects to the skin of your backpack. For instance, foam sleeping pads, tent our bodies, tent poles, snowshoes, fishing rods, and bear canisters may be carried on the skin of a backpack as an alternative of inside the primary compartment. You’d usually simply do that with objects that may get moist. However that is one method to actually stretch the carrying capability of a 60-liter backpack and one thing to search for when buying a backpack.
Listed below are some “anchor” factors to search for if you wish to connect gear to the skin of a pack:
- A floating lid is a high pocket (additionally referred to as a backpack mind) that may be raised to compress gear in opposition to the highest of a backpack. It’s generally used to haul rope, a bear canister, and a sleeping pad. When you’ve got a roll-top backpack, it might have a high Y-strap that can be utilized to the identical impact.
- Aspect compression straps may also be used to strap gear to the aspect of a backpack, similar to a sleeping pad or snowshoes. Search for backpacks which have two horizontal compression straps on both sides of the backpack, moderately than ones that zig-zig backwards and forwards on a diagonal and are more durable to make use of for this goal.
- Sleeping pads straps provide the capability to strap a foam pad to the underside of a backpack.
How a lot can you slot in a 60-liter backpack?
Okay, that’s rather a lot to consider….however how a lot are you able to match right into a 60-liter backpack? Effectively, it relies upon. When you purchase a 55 liter to 65 liter again from a backpack producer than solely counts their closed storage of their quantity spec, there’s a fairly good likelihood you may carry your whole backpacking necessities inside your backpack, together with a bulkier artificial insulated sleeping bag and a two-person tent. In case your cumbersome gear, like a foam sleeping pad or bear canister, doesn’t match, you may typically connect it to the outside of your backpack.
When you select a backpack that provides the amount of its open and closed pockets collectively to get its quantity, you could want to exchange a few of your bulkier gear with smaller or extra compressible alternate options or eradicate it altogether. For instance, you may need to exchange an artificial insulated sleeping bag with a extra compressible down sleeping bag or quilt, change from a two-person tent to a one-person tent, or depart your backpacking chair at dwelling. Downsizing the storage quantity quantity that your backpacking gear requires may be costly, however it usually ends in a lighter weight backpack weight which may be useful if that’s your intent.
Editor’s be aware: When you’re excited about shopping for gear that we’ve reviewed or advocate on SectionHiker, you may assist assist us within the course of. Simply click on on any of the vendor hyperlinks above, and in the event you make a purchase order, we could (however not all the time) obtain a small proportion of the transaction. The price of the product is similar to you however this helps us proceed to check and write unsponsored and unbiased gear critiques, newbie FAQs, and free climbing guides. Thanks and we respect your assist!