Learn to lower cabbage for slaws, stir fries, soups, and extra! This step-by-step information teaches you easy methods to slice it into wedges, shreds, and squares.
Ever questioned easy methods to lower cabbage? You’re in the fitting place! As we speak, I’m breaking down my favourite simple strategies for easy methods to lower cabbage for salads, slaws, soups, and extra.
This submit is a part of my mission to get everybody to eat cabbage extra usually. This humble vegetable is nutritious, scrumptious, and versatile (to not point out low cost!), however I’ll admit, from the surface, it may be intimidating. The place do you begin with a veggie that appears like a miniature globe?
I hope that the step-by-step directions and ideas under make getting ready cabbage really feel easy. And if you happen to want an concept for easy methods to use it after you chop it up, discover a few of my favourite cabbage recipes on the backside of this submit!
Varieties of Cabbage
If you head to the produce part of your grocery retailer, you’ll seemingly see a number of of a lot of these cabbage:
- Inexperienced cabbage (pictured above) – Its crisp, pale leaves pack densely into heavy spherical heads. Left uncooked, inexperienced cabbage is ideal for traditional coleslaw, nevertheless it additionally cooks up properly into soups and sautés.
- Purple cabbage (pictured above) – From the surface, it appears to be like similar to inexperienced cabbage, besides it’s, properly…pink. Add it to a slaw or grain bowl, or roast it.
- Napa cabbage – This number of Chinese language cabbage has a protracted, ovular form. Its leaves have crisp white stems and mushy, frilly pale inexperienced edges. I really like napa cabbage uncooked or cooked in dishes like stir fries and sautés.
- Savoy cabbage – A complete Savoy cabbage and an entire inexperienced cabbage have quite a bit in frequent. Each are spherical; each are inexperienced. However Savoy cabbage’s leaves are far more loosely packed, and so they have a softer, rufflier texture. Although this cabbage selection hails from the French Alps, its tender texture makes it an important sub for napa cabbage in lots of recipes.
These kinds of cabbage all look totally different from the surface, however you’ll be able to learn to lower any of them utilizing the information under!
Tips on how to Reduce Cabbage Into Wedges
Reducing cabbage into wedges will be your finish objective OR step one in direction of reducing it into one other form, like shreds or squares. It breaks down a big, unwieldy head of cabbage into extra manageable items.
- Begin by eradicating any outer leaves which are robust, wilted, or discolored. Rinse the cabbage and blot it dry with paper towels or a kitchen towel.
- Then, find the stem or core. It will likely be on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be a part of collectively.
- Use a pointy chef’s knife to chop the cabbage in half lengthwise by the core.
- Reduce the halves in half, once more lengthwise by the core, to kind 4 wedges.
Are wedges your stopping level? Proceed to slice the cabbage items by the core till the wedges are your required thickness. I feel 1 to 1 1/2 inches thick is a good dimension for searing or roasting.
Wish to learn to lower cabbage into skinny slices or squares? Preserve studying!
Tips on how to Reduce Shredded Cabbage
Very first thing’s first: see the part above to be taught easy methods to lower a cabbage into wedges.
- After you have 4 wedges, place one wedge lower aspect down in your reducing board.
- Reduce diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge.
- Then, use a pointy chef’s knife to thinly slice the cabbage wedge crosswise, working down from the sharp tip in direction of the place you chop out the core.
- Repeat with the remaining wedges!
That’s it! Use the shredded cabbage in coleslaw, tacos, and extra.
- Variation 1: For longer shreds, lower the cabbage lengthwise as an alternative of crosswise. Thinly slice it alongside one of many lower edges of every wedge.
- Variation 2: For very finely shredded cabbage, use a mandoline slicer. Maintain a cabbage wedge on the core finish and run the tip over the mandoline blade to slice it. Make sure you use the security guard!
- Variation 3: For chopped cabbage, like I exploit in my cabbage soup, lower every wedge lengthwise into 1-inch uniform slices. Then, lower 1-inch slices crosswise to kind a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Favourite Cabbage Recipes
So, you realized easy methods to lower a cabbage. How are you going to cook dinner it? When you want some inspo, strive making certainly one of these recipes:
You could find much more scrumptious cabbage recipes in my new cookbook, Love & Lemons Easy Really feel Good Meals.
In actual fact, it features a 3-day meal plan that’s designed to make use of an entire head of cabbage! The plan recipes—Seared Cabbage Wedges, Loaded Pita Nachos (pictured under), and Chickpea Tacos with Pickled Cabbage (pictured under)—are a few of my favorites within the guide. Pre-order it now to get a free BONUS e-book!
Tips on how to Reduce Cabbage
Learn to lower cabbage for slaws, soups, and extra! All you want is a pointy knife and a reducing board.
Take away any outer leaves from the cabbage which are robust, discolored, or wilted. Rinse the cabbage and pat it dry. Place on a reducing board.
Find the stem or core on the backside of the cabbage the place the leaves be a part of collectively. Use a pointy chef’s knife to slice the cabbage in half vertically by the core. Reduce every half in half vertically by the core to kind 4 wedges.
To chop thinner wedges for roasting or searing, proceed to chop the cabbage wedges vertically by the core till they attain your required thickness.
To chop shredded cabbage for slaws or sautés, place one cabbage wedge lower aspect down in your reducing board. Reduce diagonally alongside the core to take away it from the wedge. Working down from the sharp tip to the core finish, thinly slice the cabbage crosswise. Repeat with the remaining wedges.
To chop chopped cabbage for a stir fry or soup, lower every wedge into 1-inch slices lengthwise, then lower it into 1-inch slices crosswise to kind a grid. The leaves will separate into squares.
Discover recipe strategies within the submit above, or take a look at these 17 Greatest Cabbage Recipes.