Anybody keep in mind build-a-bear? Fairly certain that and Restricted Too mainly sum up being a toddler of the 90s. what sums up my maturity? Bowls. All.The.Bowls. Aka the lazy woman’s dinner and actually, the one true approach to eat dinner. I’m certain 20 years from now I’ll look again on my 20s and 30s and snort at what number of recipes I made in bowls, however hey, it really works!
Now I’ve to be trustworthy with you, there’s no precise science to bowl recipes. That’s one of the best a part of them, there’s room to experiment. I’m not gonna lie, now and again I’ve created some actually random bowl recipes ( once you’re so low on meals you simply discover something in your fridge and see what occurs?!) however more often than not a fast mixture of protein, carbs and veggies topped with an excellent dressing and a few crunch finally ends up being scrumptious.
So for these of you who’re feeling a little bit misplaced within the kitchen lately, I hope this bowl recipes publish will assist encourage you to get a little bit create. As a reminder, that is only a information. There’s SO a lot room for experimentation. However should you’re simply getting began this could offer you some good concepts…
However What IS a Bowl Recipe?!
Okay, nice query. Actually, there’s no actual science to it however in the long run it’s mainly a mixture of some completely different meals, topped with a scrumptious sauce or dressing and eaten (not surprisingly) from a bowl. If I had been to interrupt it down for you it’s normally made up of some completely different elements:
- Grains – although not at all times, bowl recipes normally comprise a base of some sort of grain
- Protein – this may be animal or plant-based protein
- Veggies – generally uncooked and generally roasted, sky’s the restrict right here!
- Sauce/Dressing – THIS is the place the magic occurs. It isn’t a bowl recipe with no scrumptious sauce.
- Toppings – at all times elective however nice add-on!
Learn how to Construct-A-Bowl
So now that we all know the breakdown, let’s chat about some choices for every.
- rice – my go-to! It’s gluten-free and an excellent, impartial base for a bowl. White or brown rice works.
- quinoa – a gluten-free possibility that’s filled with protein. Quinoa is definitely a whole protein which implies it has all important amino acids.
- couscous – should you’re on the lookout for enjoyable texture, I like utilizing couscous! Couscous is technically a pasta however works splendidly in bowl meals.
- farro – one other certainly one of my favorites! Farro has a really delicate, nutty taste and a barely chewy texture that I like for bowls.
- orzo – one other “grain” that’s technically pasta. Orzo seems to be like rice however is fabricated from flour.
- bulgur wheat – bulgur wheat is cracked whole-grain kernels of wheat. It’s filled with vitamins and an excellent possibility for bowls!
- freekeh – freekeh is historically present in Levantine and North African cuisines and could be the proper base for a bowl meal. It’s barely chewy and has a light nutty and smoky taste.
- barley – barley can also be barely chewy with a nutty taste. In the event you’re on the lookout for one thing extra attention-grabbing than rice or quinoa, you’ve obtained choices!
- legumes (additionally fall into protein class) – skip grains and have legumes as your base!
- rooster – that is my favourite approach to cook dinner rooster on the stovetop!
- tofu – marinate tofu within the sauce of your alternative or just sauté it earlier than including to your bowl.
- fish/shellfish – I like including salmon to my bowl however any fish or shellfish works!
- eggs – can’t go unsuitable with an added egg! I wish to cook dinner mine to over-easy or over-medium so the yolk mixes in with the remainder of the elements a bit.
- sausage – use floor sausage or chop up a sausage (or brat!) for a taste burst.
- steak – go huge and have steak as your protein alternative! Any reduce will work nice.
- pork (bacon bits) – as a full bacon lover I can attest to how scrumptious the addition of bacon is!
- legumes + beans – an excellent vegan possibility! Add any assortment of legumes and/or beans to your bowl.
- dairy/cheese – both skip the meat and simply add cheese or add cheese or one other dairy product for added protein!
Any veggie will work right here! Some concepts the right way to cook dinner them:
- uncooked – chop your veggies into bite-sized items and revel in!
- roasted – add a little bit oil, salt and pepper and roast for about 20 minutes at 425ºF.
- steamed – use a steamer basket to steam your veggies in a pot of boiling water! Veggies will take 3-10 minutes relying on the kind of vegetable you employ.
- grilled – I like the added taste grilling greens provides! I wish to coat hearty greens with oil, salt and pepper after which grill straight on the grill grate. Smaller greens like asparagus solely take about 3 minutes per aspect whereas bigger greens like candy potatoes will take longer.
A very powerful half! There are infinite bowl sauces and dressings on the market however I needed to share just a few bases you possibly can work with. For extra inspiration try this publish with full bowl recipe sauces and dressings.
- peanut butter
Be aware: generally it’s a mixture of dressings i.e. burrito bowls which have each guac and salsa
Sky’s the restrict right here and all of it actually is determined by the theme you’re going for, however listed below are some strategies:
- herbs – contemporary herbs add a tremendous contemporary taste to bowls!
- spices – actually any spice works however I like including za’atar, all the pieces bagel, chili flakes and so forth.
- crunch – chips, pita crumbles, crispy chickpeas, nuts, seeds are all nice concepts!
- sauerkraut or kimchi – add some probiotics and a great deal of taste with sauerkraut or kimchi!
- avocado or hummus – should you’re not utilizing these as a sauce, they’re additionally nice “upgrades”!
- dried fruit – add a little bit sweetness with dried fruit. Attempt to search for dried fruit with none sugar added.
A FULL BOWL BREAKDOWN
In fact, everybody’s urge for food and consumption is completely different however I needed to share a tough breakdown of what a bowl recipe seems to be like as a full meal:
- 1 cup cooked grains
- 1 cup protein
- 2 cups of veggies
- 1/4-1/2 cup of dressing relying on desire
- 1/4 -1/2 cup toppings
Mix all in a bowl and blend! That’s it – see why I like bowls a lot?!
Hopefully the above breakdown may also help encourage some wholesome bowl recipes, however simply in case you’re on the lookout for extra of a information, listed below are just a few to get you began:
JOIN THE THM NEWSLETTER
Be part of 20,000+ members of the THM Group to get entry to unique recipes, wholesome life-style suggestions and behind-the-scenes information from our crew!
Bowl Recipe Inspiration
The Final Buddha Bowl with Peanut Dressing
There are thousands and thousands of recipes for Buddha Bowls on the market however I can guarantee you this one is the final word! With veggies, brown rice, tofu in a flavour-packed peanut sauce, the final word buddha bowl will develop into your go-to vegetarian dinner recipe!
Quinoa Veggie Bowls with Miso Dressing
These customizable Quinoa Veggie Bowls with Miso Sesame Dressing will develop into a weeknight staple. With a quinoa and veggie base topped with a zesty and flavor-packed sunflower-based dressing this straightforward dinner or lunch recipe is a wholesome vegan possibility for the entire household.
Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowls
No want for takeout with this Copycat Chipotle Burrito Bowl Recipe! Made similar to your favourite restaurant’s burrito bowl, this recipe is filling, wholesome and will be made easy with pre-mixed elements or do-it-yourself choices.
Baked Falafel Bowls
You’ll crave these plant-based Baked Falafel Bowls! Made with quinoa, roasted greens, greens and naturally, baked falafel this vegan and gluten-free recipe makes a whole meal in a single.
Hen Shawarma Bowls
Get one of the best of the Center East with this deconstructed rooster shawarma bowl. Made with oven-roasted rooster thighs, crispy pita chips and a scrumptious Israeli chickpea salad this wholesome dinner recipe will shortly develop into a household favourite.