MacGregor Falls has turn out to be considered one of my favourite hidden waterfall hikes in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park. The Black Canyon Path meanders by means of outdated ranch land meadows, alongside the fascinating Lumpy Ridge rock formations, and gives views of Longs Peak to the southwest. The falls are 3.1 miles (a technique) from the Lumpy Ridge Trailhead. It’s a lesser-known hike with a quaint notation “falls” on the Nationwide Geographic RMNP Map. Discover the complete MacGregor Falls hike profile beneath for path map, driving instructions, and extra ideas and particulars that will help you take pleasure in this journey in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park.
Path Snapshot: MacGregor Falls in Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park
- Hike Distance: 6.2 miles Spherical Journey
- Problem: Average
- Length: Approx 3-4 hr Spherical Journey
- Path Sort: Out and Again
- Beginning Elevation: 7870′
- Elevation Achieve: Approx. +460′
- Seasons: Spring by means of Fall, Winter Snowshoeing
- Canine: Canine Prohibited in RMNP
- Hike Path Map: Nationwide Geographic Trails Illustrated Map
- Denver Drive Time: 1 hr 30 min
- Driving Instructions to Lumpy Ridge Trailhead: Click on for Google Map
- City Nearest Hike: Estes Park, Colorado
- Magnificence: Waterfall, aspen, ponderosa pine, mountain views, wildlife: Abert’s squirrel, elk, deer, moose, bear; wildflowers.
- Actions: Picnicking, mountain climbing trails, snowshoeing, horseback using, backcountry tenting (with a allow), pictures
- Payment: Park Move Required
Parking & Trailhead Data for MacGregor Falls
The Lumpy Ridge Trailhead (also called the Twin Owls Trailhead) is situated north of Estes Park. It’s only a brief drive out of Estes Park on MacGregor Avenue, which turns into Devils Gulch Highway. This street meets Lumpy Ridge Highway, which results in the trailhead and parking space round 0.3 miles from the intersection.
The Hike: MacGregor Falls Path in RMNP
From the Twin Owls/Lumpy Ridge Trailhead, the hike begins by heading west on the primary path that runs parallel with the Lumpy Ridge. This phase of path passes by means of the expansive meadows of MacGregor Ranch which is located on the base of Lumpy Ridge. Lumpy Ridge is a world-renown mountain climbing space; you’ll probably be capable of spot climbers alongside the gray granite faces of the cliffs as you hike. And sure, you’ll be mountain climbing with the cows by means of this phase of the hike.
At about 0.6 mile into the path, hikers will encounter the primary path junction. The best way to MacGregor Falls is to the left towards “The Pear.”
On the second main path junction, the climbing routes path leads as much as the proper. The proper solution to MacGregor falls is to proceed straight on the primary path (see photograph beneath).
The path will transition from meadows into stands of Ponderosa pine. Ultimately the path will arrive at a inexperienced gate (see photograph beneath). This space isn’t very properly marked and a part of what makes this a lesser recognized hike. I by chance continued on the primary path by means of the inexperienced gate and needed to backtrack right down to the creek. The proper route is to take a connector/social path that leads alongside the fence line to a mud street.
On the filth street, the way in which to MacGregor falls is to the proper (West) and follows shut beside Black Canyon Creek. Notice that the signage right here may very well be knocked over. You’ll discover within the photograph that the signal put up is leaning in opposition to a tree. It is usually vital to be extra conscious of the terrain on this closing phase of the hike as flooding in recent times has carved away the creek sides and parts of the path. It’s conceivable that the filth sides of the creek might collapse if mountain climbing in a extremely eroded areas.
Black Canyon Creek is gorgeous. When the water degree is low or average, you possibly can hint cascades which were sculpted by means of the granite. I discovered these options as satisfying to discover because the waterfall itself.
The path enters a extra slender space filled with aspen timber, virtually a tunnel of inexperienced, and ultimately arrives on the waterfall. There’s a small cascade simply earlier than MacGregor falls that would simply be mistaken for the waterfall. The true waterfall is only a few yards additional up the path. MacGregor falls is a novel slab waterfall that’s funneled down at an angle, then crashes right into a granite wall, sending the water right into a second cascade. Watch out strolling round on this space as there are ruins of an outdated water venture with sharp items of outdated steel protruding up out of the creek.
The most effective views of MacGregor falls are from the other aspect of the creek. Nonetheless, train warning on this space as a result of it’s steep and the terrain may be much more unpredictable when snow remains to be on the bottom.
Ideas & Assets for Mountaineering to MacGregor Falls in RMNP
- TIP: Deliver numerous water and high-energy meals.
- A Higher View: To view the waterfalls extra favorably, the creek can be crossed provided that situations allow it.
- Path Map: Rocky Mountain Nationwide Park has a map to MacGregor Falls on web page 21 of this PDF
- Packing Checklist: At all times pack the ten Necessities. Obtain our Mountaineering Information to get record and dayhiking packing guidelines.
- Colorado Highway Situations: Colorado Highway Situations
- After the Hike: Notchtop Bakery & Cafe
Map & Driving Instructions
Click on for Driving Instructions