Sharing a bit about my journey to consuming much less alcohol and ideas for lowering your alcohol consumption if that’s one in every of your objectives.
Hello buddies! How’s the week going to this point? I hope you’re having a fantastic morning to this point! I’m right here engaged on content material for our 6-week group – ALL of the data can be posted right here subsequent Tuesday, so mark your calendars!
For at present’s submit, I needed to speak a bit about alcohol and a few of the issues I’ve carried out to cut back my alcohol consumption over time.
My journey to consuming much less alcohol
Let’s take a little bit stroll into the previous and my historical past with alcohol:
– I’ve by no means actually been somebody to *overdo* it on alcohol. Whereas I’ve positively had my moments (in faculty principally lol) of overdoing it, I by no means blacked out or did issues i’d later remorse due to impaired decision-making talents, thank goodness. Whereas I’ve solely drank what I think about to be an excessive amount of on a couple of events, I continuously had 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails all through the week.
– I realized that “an excessive amount of” means various things for various individuals. Whereas I wasn’t getting tipsy always, there have been occasions (years?) that I had some kind of wine or cocktail each.single.day.
– After we lived in San Diego, it was not unusual for us to drink a bottle of wine each evening. Whereas it felt fully regular and like part of life, I spotted that it was an excessive amount of and needed to chop again. (PS consuming a bottle each evening will get costly, too!)
(Caro approves of my choice to chop again. )
A few of the predominant explanation why I selected to cut back my alcohol consumption:
– Each.time I drank multiple cocktail or one glass of wine, I slept terribly and wakened feeling exhausted the following morning. It actually sucks to start out your day on such a low-energy be aware, particularly once you’re chasing after children all day. I spotted that I felt so significantly better within the morning after I skipped wine the evening earlier than.
– I spotted that it grew to become a behavior greater than an enjoyment or pleasure. Ingesting wine grew to become one thing I did every day, not one thing I really loved. Like several behavior, it took some time to interrupt, and it was price it.
– For well being. I had a gallbladder scare a couple of years in the past and seems that your liver and gallbladder (BFFs) hate alcohol. It was an excellent wake-up name to observe my consumption and attempt to scale back it. Your physique views alcohol as poison and can pause different processes to be able to attempt to eradicate the toxin. It processes alcohol completely otherwise than meals.
Alcohol inhibits deep sleep, as your physique works to course of the alcohol as you sleep. It will increase your temperature and resting coronary heart fee, and in addition impacts your insulin sensitivity. Sporting my Oura ring and the Nutrisense CGM have offered useful perception as to how alcohol (particularly after 7-8pm) impacts my physique.
– For physique composition causes. After I diminished my alcohol consumption (along with some diet modifications I’ve revamped time), I seen a distinction in physique composition. I felt much less bloated and puffy after I wakened, and in addition like I may lastly see a few of the muscle I’d been making an attempt to construct.
What about social consuming?
This was an enormous contributor to common cocktails, and in addition as an introvert, I LIKE the nice and cozy and fuzzy feeling from a glass of wine as I chat with individuals I don’t know very properly. I really feel prefer it completely takes off the sting, and makes it simpler for me to interact with everybody in a social setting.
Actually, I needed to recover from it.
I needed to inform myself I didn’t *want* alcohol to speak with new buddies at events, and it’s true. I don’t want it to really feel comfy in social conditions or to have an excellent time.
I additionally questioned if anybody would say something after I selected water as an alternative of a cocktail, and nobody has stated a phrase. On the Pilot’s squadron Christmas social gathering, I drank water with a lemon and nobody cared. There are different ways in which I’ve labored on my social nervousness, particularly with meditation, hanging out with smaller teams of individuals, and a little bit CBD right here and there.
Did I stop alcohol completely?
No! I nonetheless love a margarita or a glass of wine 1-2 occasions per week, however that’s it. Some weeks I’ve zero alcohol, and a few weeks I’ve one drink 1-2 nights per week, absolutely realizing that I gained’t sleep as properly or have as a lot vitality within the am. I’ve simply labored to cut back my consumption over time and I really feel like dancing within the center (as an alternative an all or nothing mentality) has labored properly for me.
Ideas for lowering alcohol consumption:
Listed below are a few of the ideas which have helped me! Please know that I’m not licensed in ANYTHING associated to this and I’m simply sharing my expertise. In the event you’re combating alcoholism, please please get the assistance and help that you just deserve. There are a number of assets right here.
– Drink one thing else that you just get pleasure from. Kombucha and scorching natural tea are beautiful substitutes. I additionally loooooooove the Organifi Gold or Concord (use the code FITNESSISTA) blended with heat almond milk, a giant glass of water (I goal for round 100 oz per day), LMNT electrolytes, or an enormous smoothie.
– Strive a mocktail. A bartender could make a stunning mocktail if you happen to inform them what taste notes you get pleasure from or how candy you’d prefer it to be. There are additionally so many variations you should purchase at grocery shops and on-line choices for alcohol-free wine and spirits (although I’ve but to attempt any of those).
– Drink half. As a substitute of getting a full glass, attempt consuming half as an alternative. I’ll order wine generally once we go to eating places, and can solely drink a 3rd or so of it (and understand it doesn’t go to waste as a result of the Pilot will end it as an alternative of getting a second drink).
– Scale back consumption over time. Like with something, full deprivation can backfire and result in overindulgence later. It was useful for me to be conscious and steadily scale back my consumption. I decreased the times I had alcohol every week till ultimately I received all the way down to 1-2. Now when I’ve it, I be sure to take my time and revel in it.
So inform me, buddies: how usually do you drink alcohol? What’s your very favourite drink?
Hope you’ve got an exquisite morning and I’ll see ya tomorrow with a recipe!