Sharing a bit about my journey to consuming much less alcohol and suggestions for lowering your alcohol consumption if that’s certainly one of your targets.
Hello associates! How’s the week going thus far? I hope you’re having an awesome morning thus far! I’m right here engaged on content material for our 6-week group – ALL of the data will probably be posted right here subsequent Tuesday, so mark your calendars!
For at the moment’s put up, I needed to talk a bit about alcohol and among the issues I’ve accomplished to scale back my alcohol consumption over time.
My journey to consuming much less alcohol
Let’s take a little bit stroll into the previous and my historical past with alcohol:
– I’ve by no means actually been somebody to *overdo* it on alcohol. Whereas I’ve positively had my moments (in school largely lol) of overdoing it, I by no means blacked out or did issues i’d later remorse due to impaired decision-making skills, thank goodness. Whereas I’ve solely drank what I think about to be an excessive amount of on a number of events, I often had 1-2 glasses of wine or cocktails all through the week.
– I discovered that “an excessive amount of” means various things for various folks. Whereas I wasn’t getting tipsy continuously, there have been instances (years?) that I had some sort of wine or cocktail each.single.day.
– Once we lived in San Diego, it was not unusual for us to drink a bottle of wine each night time. Whereas it felt fully regular and like part of life, I noticed that it was an excessive amount of and needed to chop again. (PS consuming a bottle each night time will get costly, too!)
(Caro approves of my determination to chop again. )
A number of the essential explanation why I selected to scale back my alcohol consumption:
– Each.time I drank multiple cocktail or one glass of wine, I slept terribly and awoke feeling exhausted the following morning. It actually sucks to start out your day on such a low-energy be aware, particularly once you’re chasing after children all day. I noticed that I felt so a lot better within the morning once I skipped wine the night time earlier than.
– I noticed that it grew to become a behavior greater than an enjoyment or pleasure. Ingesting wine grew to become one thing I did every day, not one thing I really loved. Like several behavior, it took some time to interrupt, and it was value it.
– For well being. I had a gallbladder scare a number of years in the past and seems that your liver and gallbladder (BFFs) hate alcohol. It was a great wake-up name to watch my consumption and attempt to cut back it. Your physique views alcohol as poison and can pause different processes with the intention to attempt to remove the toxin. It processes alcohol solely in a different way than meals.
Alcohol inhibits deep sleep, as your physique works to course of the alcohol as you sleep. It will increase your temperature and resting coronary heart charge, and in addition impacts your insulin sensitivity. Carrying my Oura ring and the Nutrisense CGM have supplied worthwhile perception as to how alcohol (particularly after 7-8pm) impacts my physique.
– For physique composition causes. After I decreased my alcohol consumption (along with some vitamin adjustments I’ve remodeled time), I observed a distinction in physique composition. I felt much less bloated and puffy once I awoke, and in addition like I might lastly see among the muscle I’d been attempting to construct.
What about social consuming?
This was an enormous contributor to common cocktails, and in addition as an introvert, I LIKE the nice and cozy and fuzzy feeling from a glass of wine as I chat with folks I don’t know very nicely. I really feel prefer it completely takes off the sting, and makes it simpler for me to have interaction with everybody in a social setting.
Truthfully, I needed to recover from it.
I needed to inform myself I didn’t *want* alcohol to talk with new associates at events, and it’s true. I don’t want it to really feel snug in social conditions or to have a great time.
I additionally puzzled if anybody would say something once I selected water as an alternative of a cocktail, and nobody has mentioned a phrase. On the Pilot’s squadron Christmas occasion, I drank water with a lemon and nobody cared. There are different ways in which I’ve labored on my social anxiousness, particularly with meditation, hanging out with smaller teams of individuals, and a little bit CBD right here and there.
Did I give up alcohol solely?
No! I nonetheless love a margarita or a glass of wine 1-2 instances per week, however that’s it. Some weeks I’ve zero alcohol, and a few weeks I’ve one drink 1-2 nights per week, totally understanding that I received’t sleep as nicely or have as a lot vitality within the am. I’ve simply labored to scale back my consumption over time and I really feel like dancing within the center (as an alternative an all or nothing mentality) has labored nicely for me.
Suggestions for lowering alcohol consumption:
Listed below are among the suggestions which have helped me! Please know that I’m not licensed in ANYTHING associated to this and I’m simply sharing my expertise. In case you’re combating alcoholism, please please get the assistance and help that you simply deserve. There are numerous assets right here.
– Drink one thing else that you simply take pleasure in. Kombucha and sizzling natural tea are beautiful substitutes. I additionally loooooooove the Organifi Gold or Concord (use the code FITNESSISTA) blended with heat almond milk, an enormous glass of water (I intention for round 100 oz per day), LMNT electrolytes, or a large smoothie.
– Attempt a mocktail. A bartender could make a stunning mocktail if you happen to inform them what taste notes you take pleasure in or how candy you’d prefer it to be. There are additionally so many variations you should purchase at grocery shops and on-line choices for alcohol-free wine and spirits (regardless that I’ve but to attempt any of those).
– Drink half. As an alternative of getting a full glass, attempt consuming half as an alternative. I’ll order wine typically once we go to eating places, and can solely drink a 3rd or so of it (and realize it doesn’t go to waste as a result of the Pilot will end it as an alternative of getting a second drink).
– Scale back consumption over time. Like with something, full deprivation can backfire and result in overindulgence later. It was useful for me to be aware and regularly cut back my consumption. I decreased the times I had alcohol every week till ultimately I acquired all the way down to 1-2. Now when I’ve it, I make sure that to take my time and revel in it.
So inform me, associates: how usually do you drink alcohol? What’s your very favourite drink?
Hope you might have an exquisite morning and I’ll see ya tomorrow with a recipe!