Reviewed by Ivy Alexander, Ph.D.
Osteoporosis is a illness that outcomes from poor-quality bone tissue, which causes the bones to be weak, skinny and brittle. This makes it extra possible that fractures will happen. Though anybody can develop this illness, it’s extra frequent in girls than in males.
- Of the estimated 10 million People with osteoporosis, about 80% are girls.
- A lady is extra prone to develop osteoporosis than a person as a result of girls are likely to have smaller, thinner bones; decrease ranges of testosterone; and a lower in estrogen ranges, which helps defend bones, after they’ve reached menopause.
- Danger elements for osteoporosis embrace:
- Decreased hormones after menopause
- A household historical past of osteoporosis
- Taking sure medicines to deal with well being points akin to arthritis, bronchial asthma, lupus or thyroid illness
- Having a illness that interferes with constructing bone, akin to rheumatoid arthritis, celiac illness, inflammatory bowel illness (IBD), or kidney or liver illness
- Being a white or Asian lady
- Low bone density
- Low physique weight
- Inactive way of life
- Consuming a eating regimen low in calcium and/or vitamin D
- A historical past of consuming problems
- A historical past of falls or fractures
- Roughly one in two girls over age 50 will break a bone due to osteoporosis. White and Asian girls are at larger threat than Black girls.
- To diagnose osteoporosis and bone fractures, healthcare suppliers use a bone density scan. Typically different checks could also be used, together with a bone X-ray, CT scan or MRI.
- Though osteoporosis is extra frequent in older girls, it typically impacts younger individuals, together with premenopausal girls of their 20s, 30s and 40s.
- Analysis of osteoporosis in younger girls might be difficult and medicines which can be out there will not be authorized by the FDA to be used in premenopausal girls.
- Some girls develop a brief kind of osteoporosis throughout being pregnant. That is extraordinarily uncommon and normally goes away shortly after they offer start.
- Breastfeeding might trigger some momentary bone loss. Nevertheless, bone density recovers over time and shouldn’t trigger long-term hurt to a girl’s bone well being.
- Ladies with a prognosis of osteoporosis ought to communicate to their healthcare suppliers (HCPs) about remedies out there to extend bone formation to assist cut back the danger of fracture.
- You will need to take preventive measures all through earlier years to protect bone well being. Some key steps are:
- Embody beneficial quantities of calcium and vitamin D in your eating regimen.
- Add weight-bearing workouts and resistance actions to your day by day routine to advertise bone development and energy.
- Keep away from extreme alcohol consumption and smoking.
- Ask your HCP when it is best to have a bone density take a look at.
This useful resource was created with help from Amgen.