Simple Bourbon Rooster is a takeout-style dinner that may’t be beat! Everybody will love this candy and savory hen, swimming in a thick sauce ready with brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and naturally – bourbon!
Candy and Sticky Bourbon Rooster, Comprised of Scratch!
If you’d like a crowd-pleasing hen dish, you actually can’t go improper with bourbon hen. This mall-and-takeout basic is made with tender chunks of hen, stir-fried and coated in a thick, sticky sauce that’s flavored with actual bourbon! It’s well-balanced between candy, salty, and tangy, making it a satisfying household favourite – particularly with a heaping serving to of your favourite rice.
Bourbon hen is the sort of meals I fondly keep in mind from a day hitting the mall, a welcome sizzling meal in the midst of all that strolling and purchasing! Nicely, let me let you know, it’s additionally a welcome dinner on the finish of an extended day.
Plus, it’s fast and simple to make. The one prep it’s important to do is reduce up the hen, a number of scallions, and a bit of garlic, after which whisk collectively the sauce substances.
Why Is It Referred to as Bourbon Rooster?
This recipe is nearly actually referred to as bourbon hen due to the bourbon within the sauce, however some folks additionally suppose the dish originated on Bourbon Avenue in New Orleans! In truth, it might have been invented by a Chinese language restaurant prepare dinner in New Orleans, explaining its similarity to many Chinese language-American stir-fry dishes.
The key to this dish is within the superb sauce, loaded with wealthy umami taste from the hen and soy sauce, and balanced with heat brown sugar and tangy apple cider vinegar.
- Rooster: I favor boneless, skinless hen thighs on this recipe, however you too can use hen breasts. Minimize the hen into 1-inch items.
- Cornstarch: Cornstarch provides the hen a silkier texture and thickens the sauce.
- Salt and Pepper
- Oil: You’ll want a small quantity of high-heat oil for frying. My most well-liked oil is fundamental vegetable oil or avocado oil, however you might use peanut oil or some other excessive warmth oil you want.
- Scallions and Garlic: Thinly slice the scallions, and mince the garlic.
- Broth: Low-sodium hen broth is my go-to! Be at liberty to substitute bone broth or vegetable broth, although!
- Soy Sauce: Once more, I take advantage of low-sodium soy sauce. Common soy sauce can also be high quality, as are tamari sauce and coconut aminos.
- Bourbon: The alcohol within the bourbon cooks off because the sauce simmers, leaving simply the delicate bourbon taste. Nevertheless, if you wish to substitute, take a look at the part under!
- Brown Sugar: Packed gentle brown sugar sweetens the dish fantastically! Honey and maple syrup are additionally good choices.
- Apple Juice: Just a bit apple juice provides a slight fruity sweetness.
- Apple Cider Vinegar: Rice vinegar or rice wine vinegar are good choices right here, too.
- Ginger: Floor ginger is okay. When you use recent ginger, grate or mince it very finely.
- Garnishes: Toasted sesame seeds and sliced inexperienced onions make pretty non-obligatory garnishes, including taste, texture, and coloration.
- Rice: Cooked rice is my regular aspect for serving, or you’ll be able to take a look at the serving options and variations under for extra concepts.
What to Use As a substitute of Bourbon
When you don’t wish to use bourbon in your recipe, no worries! Any whisky will do. And, for those who don’t wish to use alcohol in any respect, you should utilize additional apple juice, or a bit of water combined with hoisin sauce. The bourbon hen will style barely completely different, however nonetheless superb!
Tips on how to Make It
Let’s check out the method for making home made bourbon hen. Like many stir-fries, this one is all about cooking the hen to tender perfection, after which making the sauce in the identical skillet or wok. It’s straightforward!
- Coat the Rooster in Cornstarch, and Prepare dinner. Mix your cornstarch, salt, and pepper in a big mixing bowl, and add the hen items. Toss them gently to coat. Subsequent, warmth the oil in a wok or a big skillet over medium warmth. Prepare dinner the hen in batches till it’s browned and cooked by, about seven minutes per batch. Don’t stir the hen too usually, or it might stick.
- Prepare dinner the Garlic and Scallions: Take the hen out of the skillet and set it apart. Add a bit of extra oil to the skillet, and set it again on the burner. Add the scallions and prepare dinner for 30 seconds, after which the garlic for one more 20 seconds. Stir continuously to maintain the scallions and garlic from scorching.
- Make the Sauce. In a medium bowl, whisk collectively the hen broth, soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, apple juice, apple cider vinegar and ginger. Pour this combination into the recent skillet and produce to a gentle simmer.
- Prepare dinner the Rooster within the Sauce Briefly. Lastly, add the hen again to the skillet and produce it to a boil. Cut back the warmth to medium-low, and let the hen prepare dinner within the sauce for about 5 to 7 minutes, or till the sauce is sticky and thick.
- Take pleasure in! Serve the hen over rice, garnished with sesame seeds and sliced inexperienced onions.
Simple Suggestions and Variations
There are such a lot of superb methods to tweak this recipe! Be at liberty to make it your individual! Listed below are a number of of my favourite concepts for customizing home made bourbon hen:
- Make It Spicy: For a bit of kick, add a contact of Sriracha sauce or cayenne pepper to the sauce whereas it cooks. Begin small, and add extra to style.
- Bourbon Popcorn Rooster: For a crunchy twist, make Popcorn Rooster as an alternative of the hen on this recipe, and coat it within the candy, sticky bourbon sauce. Speak about tasty!
- Add Pasta: Whereas I often serve rice, this saucy dish can also be fabulous with sizzling, cooked lo mein (or linguine) stirred proper into the skillet on the finish of cooking. The pasta absorbs the sauce to create a stunning noodle bowl!
- Add Veggies: For additional diet, you’ll be able to positively stir-fry sliced or chopped onions, mushrooms, and peppers with the hen – or toss some steamed broccoli proper into the skillet on the finish of cooking.
- Play with the Proportions: Need the sauce a bit of sweeter? Add extra sugar! Slightly extra tangy? Add extra vinegar. Extra bourbon-y? Extra bourbon, after all! 🥃
What to Serve with Bourbon Rooster
Rice is a pure accomplice for bourbon hen, absorbing all that scrumptious sauce and including a healthful carb part. Nevertheless, there are many different nice sides you might make in addition to (or along with) rice! Take a look at these straightforward recipes for aspect dish inspiration!
- Bok Choy: Steamed bok choy with a bit of sesame oil and soy sauce is at all times improbable, or you might make Child Bok Choy with Heat Garlic Soy Dressing. Yum!
- Grilled Zucchini: Grilling takes the naturally delicate taste of recent zucchini to savory new heights! Mild charring brings out a touch of heat sweetness on this recipe for Good Grilled Zucchini, with easy seasoning and a bit of sesame oil.
- Fried “Rice”: Flip your dinner right into a low-carb feast with Shrimp Fried Cauliflower Rice! It’s a simple grain-free model of the takeout favourite.
Storing and Reheating the Leftovers
- To maintain your leftover bourbon hen recent, retailer it within the fridge, in hermetic containers or meals storage luggage. Use inside 4 days.
- To reheat, simply place the hen and any sauce in a coated skillet over low warmth. Permit to warmth till the sauce bubbles and the hen is steaming sizzling throughout, stirring often.
Can I Freeze Bourbon Rooster?
Sure, you’ll be able to! You possibly can really freeze this one earlier than cooking, or simply freeze the leftovers after cooking.
- To freeze earlier than cooking, make the sauce and add the chopped hen and sauce to a freezer bag. Seal the bag, urgent out as a lot air as attainable. Freeze for as much as 2 months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than cooking.
- To freeze cooked bourbon hen, cool the hen and sauce utterly. Pack the hen and sauce right into a freezer bag, and freeze for as much as three months. Thaw in a single day within the fridge earlier than reheating.
Simple Bourbon Rooster
Everybody will love this candy and savory hen, swimming in a thick sauce made with apple cider vinegar, brown sugar, soy sauce, garlic, and bourbon.
- 2 kilos boneless skinless hen thighs, reduce into 1-inch items (you too can use hen breasts)
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- salt and recent floor black pepper, to style
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, divided
- 3 scallions, thinly sliced
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 cup low sodium hen broth
- ¼ cup low sodium soy sauce
- ¼ cup bourbon
- ¼ cup gentle brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons apple juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- ½ teaspoon floor ginger
- toasted sesame seeds, for garnish, non-obligatory
- sliced inexperienced onions, for garnish, non-obligatory
- cooked rice, for serving
In a big mixing bowl toss the hen items with cornstarch, salt, and pepper.
Set a wok or a big skillet over medium warmth and warmth it up.
Add 1 tablespoon vegetable oil to the wok; then add within the hen items.
Prepare dinner the hen for about 6 to eight minutes, or till browned and cooked by. In case your skillet isn’t large enough to suit all of the hen items in a single single layer, prepare dinner the hen in batches.
Take away hen from skillet; cowl and put aside.
Add remaining vegetable oil to the skillet and set it again on the burner over medium warmth.
To the recent oil, add the sliced scallions and prepare dinner for 30 seconds.
Stir within the garlic and prepare dinner for 30 seconds, stirring continuously.
In a mixing bowl, mix the hen broth, soy sauce, bourbon, brown sugar, apple juice, apple cider vinegar and floor ginger; whisk till totally included.
Pour into the recent wok/skillet; prepare dinner for 3 minutes and produce to a gentle simmer.
Add the hen again to the skillet and produce to a boil.
Cut back the warmth to medium-low and prepare dinner for about 5 to eight minutes, or till sauce is thickened.
Take away from warmth.
Garnish with sesame seeds and sliced inexperienced onions.
Serve over rice.
Simple Bourbon Rooster
Quantity Per Serving
Energy from Fats 72
% Each day Worth*
Saturated Fats 2g10%
Trans Fats 1g
Polyunsaturated Fats 2g
Monounsaturated Fats 3g
Ldl cholesterol 172mg57%
Vitamin A 116IU2%
Vitamin C 2mg2%
* % Each day Values are primarily based on a 2000 calorie food plan.
Dietary data is an estimate and supplied as courtesy. Values might fluctuate based on the substances and instruments used. Please use your most well-liked dietary calculator for extra detailed data.
Key phrases: bourbon hen chinese language, hen stir fry, sticky hen