Conventional vacation recipes are a humorous fare: They’re dishes served solely every year at a festive event. Sure, it appears virtually sacrilegious to serve these particular meals at non-holiday instances of the yr. So if I truly had the nerve to arrange my nice grandmother’s Crabmeat Casserole for an incidence that weren’t Christmas Eve, I wouldn’t dare inform Mother or my sisters; and I’d be slightly frightened that Grandma could be admonishing me from heaven. That’s the reason, since I’m sharing it right here with you all, I needed to make just a few trendy updates for my model of Wasabi Crab Casserole!
My grandmother, in addition to Mother baked particular person casserole servings in big scallop shells. So once I was slightly lady, though I didn’t notably take care of this dish, I at all times requested for some so I may eat off of the tremendous particular actual seashell. (As a lady from land-locked Montana cattle ranch, this was as shut as I ever acquired to consuming something from the ocean inside any form of shell!)
As I discussed Crabmeat Casserole was at all times served Christmas Eve alongside candy white zinfandel with a number of cheese, crackers, sausage and crudité: Carrot sticks, celery sticks, pickled beets and dill pickles. These had been served on the enjoyable card get together tin snack plates seen beneath. I’ve a tall stack of Grandma’s snack plates now and love to make use of them as an alternative of paper plates at any form of get together. They’re so festive! As is this easy crab casserole; serve it on a buffet desk with different appetizers – or as a first course to a particular meal.
- 1 tablespoon + 1 teaspoon butter, divided
- 1 tablespoon all objective flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup 1% milk
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- Juice of 1/2 lemon, about 2 tablespoons
- 1/2 – 3/4 teaspoons wasabi paste
- 1 can crab meat
- 4 hardboiled eggs
- 1 cup toasted cubed complete grain white sandwich bread
- 2 tablespoons panko breadcrumbs
- Soften butter in saucepan, whisk in flour, salt and prepare dinner for 1 minute. Slowly whisk in milk and prepare dinner, stirring always till thickened. Whisk in mustard, lemon juice, wasabi till clean.
- Gently stir in crab meat, eggs and toasted bread. Pour into buttered casserole dish or particular person casserole cups.
- Soften remaining 1 teaspoon butter and stir in panko breadcrumbs; sprinkle on high of casserole. Bake in a preheated 350 diploma oven for 20 minutes till golden brown. (If high isn’t getting golden, broil for a couple of minutes, however watch intently.)