Whether or not you’re a seasoned author or simply getting began, weblog writing is an thrilling alternative for all psychological well being clinicians.
Running a blog is a chance to construct your private model and set up credibility in your space(s) of experience. It provides you a platform to teach, inform, and interact potential purchasers, and set up your self as a frontrunner in your discipline.
Your non-public observe can organically develop by affected person referrals and advertising, and blogs may help you join with potential purchasers who need to study from you or obtain care.
Running a blog additionally permits you to faucet into your creativity. You’ll be able to advocate for causes and laws which might be significant to you, and parlay writing into talking engagements, coaching, and different alternatives to extend your revenue.
Throughout a current occasion, Spring Well being Suppliers and material specialists defined the advantages of weblog writing, the best way to weblog for Spring Well being, writing finest practices, and the best way to promote your posts. Learn on to study the 5 key takeaways.
What’s a weblog?
A weblog publish is a written piece that covers a selected matter or solutions a query. It often ranges from 800 to over 2,000 phrases, and is informative, instructional, and actionable.
Know your viewers
Earlier than you begin writing, consider your viewers and what they care about most. Bear in mind to make use of language that may resonate, and select matters that may reply their questions or present a brand new perspective.
For instance, in case you are writing a weblog publish for people contemplating or searching for remedy, it’s finest to clarify scientific phrases and write in easy language.
For those who’re writing for an HR/enterprise chief viewers, you could need to cowl matters like the best way to focus on psychological well being at work or how leaders can create a extra supportive work setting.
For instance, on this article one among our Spring Well being Suppliers talks about the best way to present significant assist to staff through the Ukraine Warfare.
In case you are writing for different psychological well being clinicians, deal with matters that make you are feeling related to your friends, or areas the place your colleagues might have extra assist or data.
For instance, this weblog by one among our Spring Well being Supplier Leads talks about eliminating boundaries to take care of households.
Begin with an overview
Your define is a roadmap to the place your weblog will begin and end. Like several story you inform, there’s a starting, center, and finish.
- Starting: Write a compelling lead-in sentence to seize your reader’s consideration, and use the primary few paragraphs to make sure they maintain studying. You’ll be able to share a private story, pose a query, or present a singular perspective.
- Center: Use three to 5 key factors to clarify your perspective and show the premise of your publish. It’s very best to make this part actionable and make sure the reader is aware of the best way to apply this new data.
- Finish: Summarize your key takeaways or clarify the distinction your perspective makes. Conclude your publish with a name to motion—the subsequent step you’d like your reader to take, like studying one other weblog publish you’ve written, leaving a remark, or scheduling a session or their first session with you.
For our Spring Well being weblog, we all the time need employers and HR leaders to stroll away with the knowledge they should create a mentally wholesome tradition and higher assist all their staff.
Writing finest practices
The following pointers may help you write an efficient article and guarantee your viewers finds it.
Write scannable content material
Most readers are literally scanners, skimming content material for the knowledge they want, and nobody desires to learn a block of textual content—they’ll skip proper over it.
Hold your paragraphs to a single level, which often occurs each two to 3 sentences. Add subheadings each three to 5 paragraphs, and use lists and bullets to create white area each time that is smart.
Do your analysis
You’ll nearly all the time be writing out of your experience for our Spring Well being blogs, but it surely’s nonetheless nice to do some further analysis and assist your concepts with credible quotes and stats.
At all times use current analysis, throughout the previous one to 2 years, and supply with hyperlinks, not footnotes.
Use inclusive language
After all, all the time use inclusive language, person-first language. These Inclusive Language Pointers could also be useful to evaluation.
Learn your draft out loud
Proof studying is crucial. After you’ve completed your draft, learn by it out loud. This can enable you to rapidly establish something that doesn’t movement, lacking transitions, and run-on sentences.
You may also ask a colleague to evaluation your publish earlier than publishing.
Promote your weblog publish
Running a blog doesn’t finish with publishing your publish. It’s important to put it up for sale to ensure your meant viewers finds it, to allow them to study from it.
Social media is one of the simplest ways to advertise your piece. Leverage the platform you employ essentially the most and the place you might have essentially the most engaged connections and followers.
Right here’s a quick description of every:
- LinkedIn is the place professionals go to attach, share, and study. That is the most effective platform to advertise your weblog and appeal to new purchasers, whereas additionally reaching extra individuals by what you’ve written.
- Twitter is constructed for sharing data rapidly, and it’s an amazing place to advertise your weblog—in 280 characters or much less.
- Fb is a wonderful platform for sharing your weblog as properly. It’s extra geared towards household and pals who’re probably very serious about what you’re writing and sharing.
- Instagram is the least blog-friendly platform.It’s centered round photographs and you’ll’t embody a clickable hyperlink to your weblog publish in an Instagram caption.
Simply get began
Any reader—from potential purchasers and different suppliers to enterprise leaders—can profit out of your perspective. Megan Muzychka Tryon, MSW, LCSW is a Spring Well being Supplier who shares this sentiment.
For those who’re new to running a blog, this is a chance to speak differently and improve your ability set.
For those who’re already a seasoned blogger, that is your probability to succeed in a wider viewers, and assist extra individuals together with your experience.
Curious about writing for Spring Well being?
For those who’re a present Spring Well being Supplier, please attain out to our Supplier Operations workforce for extra data.
For those who’re a clinician who presently doesn’t work with Spring Well being, please full this curiosity kind.