The next record of climate forecasts are for the summits of the White Mountains 4000 footers.
Remember the fact that the summit forecast will often be colder than the strategy trails resulting in the peaks by roughly 3 levels for each 1,000 ft of elevation acquire. On above-treeline peaks, that are usually 4500′ or larger within the Whites, wind speeds/wind chill will even be much less intense beneath the treeline on mountains with enough tree cowl.
You could find fairly detailed details about all the strategy trails to those mountains in addition to recommendation about winter routes in The 4000 Footers of the White Mountains by Steve Smith and Mike Dickerman, accessible from Amazon or the Mountain Wanderer Bookstore in Lincoln, NH. It’s the White Mountains peakbagging bible.
White Mountains Climate Forecast Sources
- NOAA is the US Authorities Company chargeable for nationwide climate forecasting and their forecast is the gold customary in america. All industrial forecasts are primarily based on the climate info they publish.
- Mountain Climate Forecast republishes NOAA’s forecasts in a format that many hikers discover helpful.
- NETC (New England Path Circumstances) is a neighborhood bulletin board the place severe hikers submit trail-condition details about their hikes which is especially useful in figuring out what kind of traction/flotation aids (crampon, microspikes, or snowshoes) to hold in winter and different path hazards.
- The Mount Washington Observatory Excessive Summits Forecast is especially helpful for mountaineering within the northern Presidential Vary surrounding the Nice Gulf. It loses significance the farther eliminated you’re from Mt Washington, besides in instances of utmost regional climate.
- The Presidential Vary Avalanche Forecast is revealed by the Mt Washington Avalance Heart.